Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Driftwood and Tannins

So I've had this medium sized piece of drift wood, takes up about 1/4 the volume of my 29g. The water is a lovely deep amber color. I was wondering how long will a good sized piece of malaysian driftwood leech for? I've done some google searches and there are not really any clear answers other than boiling it for hours on end to remove most of them. I like the natural appearance and my fish seem happier for it, but I was curious how long it would last? I do a 25% change weekly on a 29g.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It can vary from one piece of wood to another....sometimes you can boil it or if its too big to boil run it through the hot cycle of the dishwasher.....but- if it will mess up the tank to remove it....you can add some fresh activated charcoal to the filter and this will help remove the color from the water....depending on the charcoal quality....you may have to replace it weekly-to-every 3 weeks and repeat as needed....the fresher the charcoal the better...its a short lived product or limited.....

Love to see some pic of your tank....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:07 AM   #3 
thePWNISHER

video is linked to my profile. I started a log of how the sorority would go but after 24 hours its like a plain community tank without much of the drama. I'm just happy that the C02 is kicking in and helping the plants reach the top finally.

I like the amber look I'm not wanting it to go I'm wanting it to stay. Sure to others its a bit drab and the betta and guppy colors are diminished from the tannins but I've yet to lose a fish and all the original fish nipping from the first 24hours was recovered almost instantly. I know that once it is gone, its not cmoing back unless I can track down some quality driftwood again, which wasn't easy.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote