Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #1 
BettaSnap456

Betta fish won't eat...

Hey, my betta, Azure, I got him today and he doesn't seem to want to eat. He goes the the bottom and tries to dig when there is food at the top of his tank, he's healthy and all but he just won't eat. Is this because he is not used to the food or he just doesn't prefer it? I know he's not sick, I just don't want him to die of starvation! Help!
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:14 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Give him time to settle in to his new home. Bettas often won't eat if they're stressed. You can help him adjust by making his tank a little darker to keep him calmer.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #3 
BettaSnap456

Oh okay, thanks! It's 2 bettas now! Btw my betta Tai is actually getting skinnier if you can believe it!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #4 
BettaSnap456

Btw, would you happen to know if there is a 1 gallon heater?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I don't know of any reliable 1 gallon heaters. I got the Marina brand heater for up to 2.5 gallons, but it hasn't done it's job in keeping tank temp at 76. You might want to invest in a bigger tank that you can divide for the two of them. Heaters for anything above 3 gallons tend to be much easier to find (I'm using a heater for up to 5 gallons in a 2.5, but it's adjustable so I can make sure it doesn't overheat).

If your other boy is getting skinny, you may want to offer food more often. Maybe try 6-7 pellets daily, but offer only a few 3 times a day. His poop is normal otherwise? Not white or stringy?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote