Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #1 
Juliana

help with new betta

So I bought a crowntail betta at Petco yesterday. At the time he seemed like a healthy, feisty little guy. I named him Osiris, and he's my first pet fish of any kind. He's temporarily in a 3 gallon critter keeper with a cave and 2 silk plants, until I can get him a 5 gallon and cycle it. When I first put him in there I acclimated him for around 40 minutes, and when I released him into the tank he was really active, exploring everything and flaring. This morning he was a little less active, but still seemed okay. But all day today he has become more and more lethargic. He now has clamped fins, cloudy eyes, and there is something hanging around his gills on one side. It's white and kind of stringy. Also, I bought him Omega One Betta pellets, I tried giving him one last night and again today, but he wouldn't eat it.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 79
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? N/A
How often do you feed your betta fish? N/A

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I just set the tank up yesterday, so I haven't done any water changes yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? N/A
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven't tested.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins are clamped, his eyes are a bit cloudy, and he has something white hanging around his gills on one side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic, and he mostly stays in the corner of his tank, either at the top or at the bottom.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I don't know, I just got him yesterday.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea since I bought him at Petco.

I also uploaded a video of him laying on the bottom of the tank in the corner since it's a little easier to see the white stuff on him.
http://youtu.be/wwd6yUQUmTk
Attached Images

Juliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #2 
tf1265

It looks like a parasite to me, however as a disclaimer I will say that I have never personally had to deal with parasites on my fish.

You can try treating with aquarium salt and turning the heat up to around 86 degrees for a few days, however that doesn't always work effectively. You may need to buy him some parasite medication. Don't do salt and medicine though.

Since you don't have a filter or a cycled tank you'll want to do 100% water changes daily while treating, and make sure you replace the medication dose after changing the water each time. It may take a week or so to start making a difference, or it might happen faster than that.

Perhaps someone with more direct experience with parasites will chime in in case I'm wrong about something.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #3 
Juliana

Thank you for your response, tf1265.

The white stuff is gone now. It fell off of him in little bits, and some of it is floating in the water while the rest is on the bottom of the tank. If it was parasites would it be moving around at all? Because I haven't noticed any of the stuff wiggling around or moving. He is doing a little better today, swimming around more, but he still seems kind of sick to me. I think I will try treating him with the aquarium salt. Anyone else think this is parasites, or have an idea on what else it might be?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

For now, treat with 2 tsp/gal aquarium salt premixed. It looks like either a fungus or a parasite. Do a 100% change to get whatever fell off out just in case it reattaches to him.

You'll want to do 100% daily water changes on aq salt. This will be good for removing any parasite eggs or any fungus spores.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry your very first Betta isn't well.....

When you acclimated him did you acclimate him to both the water temp and water chemistry by adding the dechlorinated tank water to his holding container during this 40 min...also, did you add the pet shop water to the tank.....

Right now....I would start making 50% water only changes for 2 days with like temp dechlorinated water...Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the partial water changes as a general rule.....double check the label and make sure you are dosing enough...some dechlorinator direct you to use double dose if you have chloramines in the source water along with chlorine...

Turn off the light and provide a quiet location-hold food for now......

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #6 
Juliana

Unfortunately, my little guy died while I was getting ready to go buy him some aquarium salt.

Yes, I added a little of the dechlorinated tank water to his cup several times while I acclimated him. When I let him out of his cup into the tank, I tried to allow as little of the old water into the clean tank as possible, but some of it did get in.

I guess I'll wait until I get a cycled 5 gallon tank, and then try again.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #7 
Leeniex

I'm so sorry Juliana. :(
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....he may have been sick to start....you should be able to get another Betta with the return policy at Petco.......

Ask them to add a drop or two of Prime at the pet shop to the holding container for you instead of adding it at home.....

When you get your new Betta-First make a 100% water change on the tank (3gal unfiltered is perfect for the Betta)-do a good cleaning on it and when you refill-double dose the dechlorinater- dump half the old water out of the holding cup with the Betta (add a drop or 2 of the dechlorinator to the holding cup) and acclimate him to the chemistry by adding small amounts of the dechlorinated tank water to the holding cup over 10-15 min-keep dumping the old water and adding the tank water (dump the pet shop water down the sink or in a potted plant) repeat until 100% of the holding container with the Betta is the tank water...Net and add to the tank or slowly lower the container in the tank and release him (Never add pet shop water to the tank)

Be sure and keep the temporary cup and lid...this makes a great QT container when needed and to use when making 100% water changes....

Don't give up.......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-28-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 
Silverfang

sorry to hear Juliana, he might have been sick from the start.
I hate to suggest it, but white and fluffy could have been columnarious. Or it could have been his slime coat. IT sounds like you did everything properly.

If you do decide to try another another boy, use scalding water with a bit of vinegar to clean up safely.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #10 
Juliana

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement. Hopefully I'll have better luck with the next one.