Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 PM   #1 
bettarainbow

A friend mad and yelling at Petsmart & Petco

One of my friend has been buying petsmart and petco hm for few months now. Since he live only 5 mn walking from my house, almost every night i stop at his house. He has now around 40 hm and that is true, he has 40 betta look like hm. When i look at his fishes, half are not hm, they are not 180. Most of his fishes look super delta and some look veil tail. So, we decide to sort them, at the end he has 20 true hm, the rest are super delta and few are veil tail or just delta tail. We took all of them back to petsmart and petco and asking to see the store manager. My friend was asking for a refund for all the ones that are not hm. Good that he kept all his receives. None of the manager from the both store wont give him any refunds. Plus, the one from petco even said to us, those are not petco fishes, where did you get those ??
My friend was yelling at the petco manager.
My friend told the manager that he will write to the corporate about their attitude toward us and also asking for a refund.
We left both stores without the fishes. My friend was so mad at them for the way they were talking to us, that is why he prefer to leave all the fishes at petco and petsmart. I saw few customers who was there took their betta back to the shelf and get out empty hands. This was a 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday, my friend called me and said that he got all his refunds back. Someone from the corporate emailed him and said that he will get his refund back. He also said that petsmart gave him a a gift card of $20 and petco $50.
Finally, everything was back to normal but my friend said that he will never go back to both store. He gave the giftcards to my sister.
He just told me today at noon that he bought some hm from aquabid and will be getting them next wednesday, i also gave him 3 of my hm.
I also told him about this forum and he said he will join us soon.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I don't blame your friend for being mad.
Personally, I've seen a lot of these fish tagged incorrectly which sometimes works in the benefit of the customer if you end up buying an HM for Delta price.
IMO, it's all about being informed. You should always research before you decide to get a pet, no matter if it's a fish... you are making yourself responsible for a living creature and you should take the responsibility fully.
Why are these fish tagged incorrectly? Because people see bettas as disposable animals and don't care to learn about them so the stores don't need worry about those things.
Someone who is looking to buy a Maltese dog will not confuse it for a Poodle because they usually inform themselves about the breed... why should it be different with fish?
Old 10-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Someone who is looking to buy a Maltese dog will not confuse it for a Poodle because they usually inform themselves about the breed... why should it be different with fish?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #4 
Pitluvs

I agree with the above two. And why leave the fish there because they are not HM? Wow! I personally would NOT hand MY fish over to someone who only cares about fin type and not the well being of a fish.

It's quite common for fish to be miss labeled at the pet store, you see it everyday on here, which is why someone should do their research! But to pitch such a fit and return all the fish because they are not HM? Ok.. I'm walking away from this one. It's so sad that there are still people out there who view fish as property and money, and can toss them around and give them away with no feelings towards the fish or their well being.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:14 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

I buy my fish because I like how they look, no matter what they are priced. However, If I found a really stunning veil tail and it was in a HM King cup labeled for $25 I might pull someone aside and point out that he was mislabeled.

Especially when veils are only $3...

The difference between HMs and deltas can be slight, to say the least. One fish that looks like a delta as it rots away in a cup might turn out to be a HM with a little clean water and heat. Not to mention stretching and exercising daily. I started out with a delta that had a very narrow spread, less than 90 degrees and now he is almost at a full 180!
I can understand why there are so many mistakes between the two. The best practice would be to just make them the same price!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #6 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I agree with the above two. And why leave the fish there because they are not HM? Wow! I personally would NOT hand MY fish over to someone who only cares about fin type and not the well being of a fish.
Where on earth did you get the assumption that the friend doesnt care about well being??

I personally would be very dissapointed aswell if I got a delta or VT when I paid the price for a HM especially if I was planning to breed them or wanted a high quality fish.
The friend is not at fault for not knowing if its a HM or not since its impossible to tell without them flaring. And if what I've heard about petco etc...they are kept in cups and not likely to flare if cold and in poor health, there is also the possibly that the fish got used to each other and not bother flaring.

However, people at chain pet stores are not expected to have great knowledge about the different tailtypes of betta. And its highly impractical for them to go through every single fish making it flare.
As far as they are concerned they came in labeled as HM and therefore gets sold as HM.

I'm glad all is sorted out with your friends fish and refunds
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Where on earth did you get the assumption that the friend doesnt care about well being??

I personally would be very dissapointed aswell if I got a delta or VT when I paid the price for a HM especially if I was planning to breed them or wanted a high quality fish.
The friend is not at fault for not knowing if its a HM or not since its impossible to tell without them flaring. And if what I've heard about petco etc...they are kept in cups and not likely to flare if cold and in poor health, there is also the possibly that the fish got used to each other and not bother flaring.

However, people at chain pet stores are not expected to have great knowledge about the different tailtypes of betta. And its highly impractical for them to go through every single fish making it flare.
As far as they are concerned they came in labeled as HM and therefore gets sold as HM.

I'm glad all is sorted out with your friends fish and refunds

Who really has the well being of their fish in mind when they leave them at a pet store because they were not the right tail type (and wouldn't have known other wise if someone didn't point it out). Before bettarainbow pointed it out, this person was quite happy with their fish. Anyways, get refunds that's great! They were sold fish that were in indeed the fish they paid for. But to leave all the fish behind? That's not having the fishes best interest in mind, you yourself just rhymed off the usual pet store experience for a fish. Money and tail type were more important than leaving these fish in a home. Personally, that's horrible to give them a home and then take them back because they were not HMs. Get your refund but keep the fish that were perfectly fine to you a few days earlier in my opinion. And I'm entitled to my opinion :)

Last edited by Pitluvs; 10-29-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
This is completely untrue. A person who has at least studied betta basics can tell a VT from a Delta from a distance, no need for the fish to flare.
Now, if you had said Super Delta from HM, then I would agree with you... you have to look a little closer and maybe make them flare.

For what I've read so far, it really doesnt bother me that this friend returned the fish, if the person was so misinformed and had 40 bettas I doubt their setup was much different than the store's.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 AM   #9 
cherrybello

I think the part where the friend just left the fish in the store was just cruel. If he really cared about them, he wouldn't mind if they are any other tail types other than HMs. It sounded like he just wanted them for a collection. Besides, who can really properly care for 40 bettas at the same time? Unless they have too much time on their hands, and can get on top of all the necessary water changes etc, then fine... I can't see myself having the time to take care of 40 bettas if I am working full time and running my own household.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #10 
Myates

I have to agree with Putluvs in many ways..

What is sad is.. those fish he took back? They wouldn't be able to be resold. Sounds like he had them for a bit, and since he had gotten them from 2 different stores, and one was saying they don't even sell that type.. those fish ended up in the black bag of death sadly. =(

@Cherry: There are quite a few members here who have more then 40 bettas, and they take excellent care of them and aren't constantly tending to them. Larger tanks, NPTs will ease the time it takes to care for them. I wouldn't jump on anyone for having a lot of bettas, when there are many ways to properly care for them and have a life.
What the concerns should be about having so many is what are the tank sizes and are they all heated. Not whether they have no life to be able to care for them =)
Closed Thread