Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #21 
Qishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettarainbow View Post
Friends and members, first i would like to say that we do care about betta, specially me. I have close to 200 betta in my room, males and females together.
My friend, he is completely new to betta. Those fishes that have been return to their stores have been put back on the shelf for sale not as hm but delta. They are not even super delta. Their tails when spread are a little larger than the veil tail.
Most of his hm, he purchased at petco and $14.99 each. So that amount times 15 = a lot of money spent. I'm really sorry but if someone i know want a betta hm, i will help him to make sure he will get the right product for the right price.
That was my idea to leave all the fishes to petco manager hands, because the way he was talking to us. He said the fishes we brought were not from petco and he also said that we were trying to get easy money, like those fishes were from another store. He just piss me off, specially when my friend has all the receives with him with the betta containers. There was few customers there that day and they were not happy the way the manager was talking to us.
I know how to make difference between the hm from petco and petsmart. Petsmart hm are 99% of the time young fishes and skinny, maybe just 3 months.
Petco hm are older and more healthy, i'm sure most of you agree with me on that.
I help my friend build some shelf on the wall just like mines and he bought some 1g jar for his fishes and his room is warm. He do water change 1 time a week, i told him to do that. And, all his betta jars have a piece of indian almond leave inside.
Like i said, my friend is a newbie and still learning from me. I'm not an expert in betta but i know something.
One water change a week is not adequate for 1 gallon. You need to do at least one 50% change and one 100% change once a week or ammonia really starts to build up. I can't imagine doing that for 40 bettas. That's insane lol
Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 PM   #22 
bettarainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qishi View Post
One water change a week is not adequate for 1 gallon. You need to do at least one 50% change and one 100% change once a week or ammonia really starts to build up. I can't imagine doing that for 40 bettas. That's insane lol
Qishi, each person do differently when it come to care about betta. I'm not saying my way is better or your way is better as long as you have healthy fishes.
I have 134 betta males and they are all in 1g jar. I only do water change 1 time a week. I'm not worried about ammonia or ph. I use filter water then i treat the water with indian almond leave and my fishes are healthy and blow a lot bubble each day. When you betta keep blowing bubble, that mean they are very healthy.
I have some fighters here, i only do water change 1 time a month. Of course we can not compare a fighter to other betta, just my opinion.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #23 
cherrybello

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
The only thing I have to add is re: cherry's comment on keeping many bettas (who can keep that amount properly?)

I find that a little offensive, mostly in the way it was written. I have a 55 gallon sorority and it alone houses 30 female bettas. In addition I have 15 males in divided heated tanks. I have had over 100 bettas at one time, from my spawnings.

If you have a good set-up for water changes like I do : 45 gallons of heated, treated R/O water and a 30 gallon waste water bucket, 30+ feet of hosing so you're not carrying water back and forth in buckets; water changes on a large amount of jars and tanks will only take you about an hour each water change day, so maybe 2-4 hours a week. Not much time at all.
I am sorry if my comment offended you, or any other members who has a lot of bettas and are able to take care of them properly. I had no intention of being offensive. What I meant was if the friend is new to bettas and has that many of them, how does he manage all the setup and heating and the part of taking care of them? It was written in the moment of outrage... The more the TS tried to defend his/her friend the more I find it outrageous...

Again, sorry if my post offended anyone...
Old 10-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #24 
bettarainbow

Oh i am cool, i am not offended. I just want to explain to some of you that i am not new to betta but my friend is. He just want to get as much as he can to compete with me but i don't think he will because his fishes quality are very low.
I try to teach him everything he need to know about the care of a betta and also helping him to make better choices about quality, fins, tails type, coloration.
He is in good hands, i will make sure that his betta will always be healthy.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #25 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettarainbow View Post
Qishi, each person do differently when it come to care about betta. I'm not saying my way is better or your way is better as long as you have healthy fishes.
I have 134 betta males and they are all in 1g jar. I only do water change 1 time a week. I'm not worried about ammonia or ph. I use filter water then i treat the water with indian almond leave and my fishes are healthy and blow a lot bubble each day. When you betta keep blowing bubble, that mean they are very healthy.
I have some fighters here, i only do water change 1 time a month. Of course we can not compare a fighter to other betta, just my opinion.
Thing is.. filtered water isn't the best.. tap water is with conditioner. Filter water lacks the proper nutrients/minerals they need, that in over time, can cause them to become ill. Very highly recommended to use just tap water. And regardless the type of water, the ammonia will still build up rather quickly in a 1 gal. A 50% and a 100% water change per week is highly recommended to anything under 5g that isn't filtered, regardless of the type of water you are using.

Bubble blowing isn't just a sign of health for the most part.. it's instinct for territory, mating and even weather related when a system is moving in. I've seen many unhealthy, half dead bettas with bubble nests out there.

Fighters need the same care as others, so once a month isn't idea.

Yes, bettas can live a long time in unfavorable condition, even a couple years. But it does catch up to them, and it does take off years of their life.

Not saying you do not care for them, but that there is still the basic necessities that is needed, and it seems that you are missing a couple of them.

Last edited by Myates; 10-31-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #26 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Thing is.. filtered water isn't the best.. tap water is with conditioner. Filter water lacks the proper nutrients/minerals they need, that in over time, can cause them to become ill. Very highly recommended to use just tap water. And regardless the type of water, the ammonia will still build up rather quickly in a 1 gal. A 50% and a 100% water change per week is highly recommended to anything under 5g that isn't filtered, regardless of the type of water you are using.

Bubble blowing isn't just a sign of health for the most part.. it's instinct for territory, mating and even weather related when a system is moving in. I've seen many unhealthy, half dead bettas with bubble nests out there.

Fighters need the same care as others, so once a month isn't idea.

Yes, bettas can live a long time in unfavorable condition, even a couple years. But it does catch up to them, and it does take off years of their life.

Not saying you do not care for them, but that there is still the basic necessities that is needed, and it seems that you are missing a couple of them.
+1,000,000...

I don't care if your way of maintaining bettas is different, there's just no possible way that keeping them in 1 gallon jars without any heating and lined up to one another without proper water changes is "healthy". I've seen PetCo bettas with full bubblenests covering the top, then come in the next day half dead. Bubblenests does not, in any way, mean "very healthy bettas"!!

This is making me incredibly sad and disgusted... When my girl was in her 1 gallon, every other day she was having a 100% water change... That's just not okay what you're doing. Have you even tested your water on a regular basis to see what is going on with it? You don't "care/worry" about ammonia and pH? Why is that?

Maybe you should seriously rethink your situation, and stop your friend from buying more. If all those non HMs are gone now, leave it at the 20!! Get 5 tanks that are 20 gallon longs, divide into 4, and then your friend will be set... that's only 5 heaters the friend will have to buy, 5 filters, and 5 tanks, compared to 20-ish.. Honestly, you could probably fit in 5 fish per 20 and have 4 tanks/heaters/filters. Can you even properly put in decor, hiding spots, etc in a 1 gal jar??

The only time I will EVER find these kinds of set ups acceptable are in breeder homes that have excellent set ups (drip system water changes, fully heated rooms, carded, etc..) or people that actually maintain their bettas properly in the 1 gallons... i.e., more than one water change per week!

Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but I honestly don't feel you understand what kind of situation your friend and you are in...
Old 10-31-2011, 01:41 PM   #27 
bettarainbow

When i said filter water, i mean the water we are drinking. Yes, i go buy at my safemart that water and the water i am drinking each day, my gorgeous betta are swimming inside each day. My room is warm when it is cold because i have the heater on, so i dont need to worry about my fishes. I bought 10 bottle of 5 gallons of water specially for those fishes. When you purchase an expense fish like the ones i have, you want to make sure they will get the best care possible. When i have a betta sick, i only use salt and indian almond leave and it works well. I never have a fish die on me unless he is old and maybe it is his time to go. I have been keeping betta since i was 10 years old.
I have a lot of friends, they have their betta die after having them for only few months or a year. Most of my fishes i have in my fish room are close to 1 year and 4 months old. My longest fish that die old was 3 years and 2 months old, that was a super fighter.
The way i care about my betta is not from my imagination, a betta breeder told me to do this way and i always done that way since.

Last edited by bettarainbow; 10-31-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #28 
bettarainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
+1,000,000...

I don't care if your way of maintaining bettas is different, there's just no possible way that keeping them in 1 gallon jars without any heating and lined up to one another without proper water changes is "healthy". I've seen PetCo bettas with full bubblenests covering the top, then come in the next day half dead. Bubblenests does not, in any way, mean "very healthy bettas"!!
My fish room is warm and in good temperature. Petco dont care about their fishes dont matter if it is a betta or any other type of fish. All they care is about making money, the more they sell, the more profit they are going to get.

This is making me incredibly sad and disgusted... When my girl was in her 1 gallon, every other day she was having a 100% water change... That's just not okay what you're doing. Have you even tested your water on a regular basis to see what is going on with it? You don't "care/worry" about ammonia and pH? Why is that?
If in 1 week you do water change almost every day for 1g tank then something is wrong with you or your fish. Or maybe something wrong the way you feed her and it make her tank dirty. I never check the ammonia and ph because the indian almond leave is doing everything already. You should ask a
Thai breeder why they always have those leaves in each one of their betta jar??

Maybe you should seriously rethink your situation, and stop your friend from buying more. If all those non HMs are gone now, leave it at the 20!! Get 5 tanks that are 20 gallon longs, divide into 4, and then your friend will be set... that's only 5 heaters the friend will have to buy, 5 filters, and 5 tanks, compared to 20-ish.. Honestly, you could probably fit in 5 fish per 20 and have 4 tanks/heaters/filters. Can you even properly put in decor, hiding spots, etc in a 1 gal jar??
Regarding my friend, that is his business if he want to buy 50 betta or more, he do whatever he want with his money. I like those 1g jar, they are not heavy, easy to do water change and easy to move around.

The only time I will EVER find these kinds of set ups acceptable are in breeder homes that have excellent set ups (drip system water changes, fully heated rooms, carded, etc..) or people that actually maintain their bettas properly in the 1 gallons... i.e., more than one water change per week!
I'm sorry but the Thai breeder don't use your system and that local breeder who live only few hours from me doesn't do that either, somehow he has more than 2000 betta and they are all in individual jars.

Sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but I honestly don't feel you understand what kind of situation your friend and you are in...
Honestly, i think i am doing fine and my friend is in good hands. I honestly feel if you dont like the way me and my friend do then you should just move on
Old 10-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #29 
Pataflafla

I don't agree with how you're caring for your fish either. A water change a month simply because one betta is bred to fight is simply cruel. I highly doubt a leaf reduces ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites that much. IAL is more to darken the water and add healing properties similar to the water in natural settings, not to significantly reduce harmful chemicals in the environment.

Unfortunately, this has turned into a discussion of opinions where no one will win. everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which unfortunately means that everyone does not feel entitled to change their ways to gain the maximum benefit for their pet.

I agree with at least 2 water changes weekly for a 1 gallon and for heating them to 80 steadily. Water temperature is roughly 2 degrees cooler than room temp, so unless you're keeping your room at around 84 all year round, your temperature will fluctuate into less than desirable temperature range.

My final input is that maybe instead of gathering great numbers and keeping them in sparse conditions, maybe try getting only a few and lavishing them with wonderful conditions. Those members that can care for hundreds of bettas fantastically, I commend you. Those of you that seem to just buy more without really paying attention to the care they need, maybe you need to rethink.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #30 
Pitluvs

^^+10000
Closed Thread