Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #1 
Concon

Lightbulb Substrate??

Heyy I want to start a planted tank and I want to know what substrate to use. I am planning to use java moss or dwarf hair grass or Japanese hair grass. I have a ten gallon tank filtered heated and lighted. So what substrate is best?
Concon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:59 AM   #2 
Nickpearson1985

The best I have used is the 'Eco-complete' brand. But! What I have found in my experience is that lighting is the most important factor in using live plants. My planted amazon tank is filled with 'hard' to keep plants in regular sand substrate, and very little fertilizer added, and no CO2. Fish poo, little fertilizer, and GOOD lights! And ALWAYS pull dead leaves when you see them. Don't let rot spread!
Nickpearson1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 AM   #3 
Myates

Unsure about the others.. but Java moss doesn't need any substrate at all, so you could do as you please and still have a healthy plant =) It's very easy to care for.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickpearson1985 View Post
The best I have used is the 'Eco-complete' brand. But! What I have found in my experience is that lighting is the most important factor in using live plants. My planted amazon tank is filled with 'hard' to keep plants in regular sand substrate, and very little fertilizer added, and no CO2. Fish poo, little fertilizer, and GOOD lights! And ALWAYS pull dead leaves when you see them. Don't let rot spread!
I agree with this. I use poolfilter sand and my plants are doing nicely. All I have is a 15 watt 6500k light over my 10 gallon..I dose water column fertilizer every other week.I have mainly stem plants though..If you get heavy root feeders like swords or cryptocoryn (sp?) then you might want to get root tabs if you dont go with a substrate such as eco complete or flourite.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #5 
Micho

Since you want a carpeting plant, as seen in your other thread I would suggest doing a NPT. Basically 2 inches of organic potting soil, and on top of that add in 1 inch of either sand or fine gravel, this should help your plants grow really well.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote