Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #1 
BettaRepublic

Exclamation Betta Emergency!

Hi guys!
Gott write this quick my Betta is just sitting at the bottom of his tank and not moving. Don't know what it is maybe constipation. Been like that since I changed his water this morning. Please help ASAP!
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #2 
Silverfang

did you remember the dechlorinator? and did you use water that was close to the same temperature? other than that we'd have to know more information.

Tank size, temp, additives, tank mates, water change schedule, food, basically the sticky here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #3 
FattyTheConvict

what is the temperature of the tank? since you think he's a bit constipated, which sounds like it could be a possibility, try boiling some peas, take the skin off one of them and feed it to him. automatic cure for constipation!
FattyTheConvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #4 
Silverfang

actually peas are not good for bettas. They are insectivores, frozen daphnia or frozen brine shrimp would be better alternatives IF, and I repeat if constipation is the issue.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 
Bambi

If you have immediate access to the frozen foods then that's a nice idea, but it's not always an option. Many have used pea's just fine with bettas as a constipation cure.

Or, epsom salt? I think? helps with constipation...one sec and i'll edit in a link to an info page.

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=13143

has info on how to tell, and how to feed the peas.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-29-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #6 
Behati

was the water an acceptable temperature when you changed him? he could be in shock if you didn't acclimate him.

also, I think peas are "okay" as long as you don't use it as an ongoing thing. i wouldn't use it as a laxative but more as a digestive track cleaner. epsom salts is what you should be using for bloat.

hope he's still truckin'
bht
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #7 
Bambi

Ah so that's where i heard the epsom salt being used. Thanks.

Hopes he's feelin' better, the waterchange could have just stressed him.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #8 
BettaRepublic

Well last time I checked temp was like 68 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe that's cold. The tank is 0.75 gallons, smaller than yours, but I'll be upgrading to 10g soon. No additives, I feed him Wardley Betta pellets, Betta-Min, Tetra Bloodworms. Occasionally, Zoo-Med Betta Bloodworms, Mysis, and Daphnia (sometimes). He has no mates, and I normally change water weekly.
Hope that helps!
Please reply ASAP!
BettaRepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #9 
Behati

Oh! that is too cold! That's like making you stand outside in snowy weather in shorts and a teeshirt. Can you move him? The kitchen is probably the warmest place in your house, the water temp should be at least "room temperature" and even at that he may be lethargic but don't go pouring warm water on him. Wrap the tank in the towel and put him some where warm. The water temperature should be lukewarm to the touch at minimum (which is cool water, but not enough to be considered "cold" while your hands are warm). Numerically, it should be 75+. Optimal temperature is 78-82.

I'm not sure if that's why your betta is not doing so well but I'm sure it is playing a role in it.
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

No Additives? Does that mean you're not treating your water with a dechlorinator before you use it?
Water if definitely too cold but if you're not preparing your water, the chlorine will be very harmful to your fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote