Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #11 
Comet1993

Thank you for the tips. =] I'll definitely be needing them. I'm not sure why they did.. They can be pretty mean. =[ At least, the cabomba I have left seem to be flourishing. One of the "stalks" is almost to the top of the tank already. o.o Quick little things... Turbo seems to enjoy them and swimming through them. I don't blame him; they look like they'd be fun to swim through. Very soft. =) I do feel kind of bad for the moss ball, though.. :( He's kind of been ignoring it.. But it's just sooo adorable!!! I go back to the aquarium store tomorrow!! :) It's one of the highlights of my week now. I may get some more cabomba. I don't want to get too much, though. The stuff really can grow!!
It's* <--- Correction from prior post.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #12 
Sakura8

You're so lucky you can get cabomba. :) It's considered a noxious weed in California so it's banned here. And hurray for trips to fish stores.

My betta ignores my moss balls too. Some bettas love them and some could care less. My bettas apparently are moss ball snobs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #13 
Comet1993

Noxious weed. Lol. Makes it sound like a drug. Turbo seems to be more interactive with the moss ball now. =] Not much, but he knows it's there. I really want to get some more cabomba, but I'll have to wait at least a week. I have another purchase in mind for today. Female betta! Yay!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #14 
Sakura8

:) Post pics of your new girl.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #15 
Comet1993

I wish I could do pictures! She's the most precious little girl! She's Cambodian in color (I hope I got that terminology correct...), so she's like an off-white with red-ish fins. And she has a bit of red-ish around her head. She has adorable ventral fins. I can't get over how cute they are! And her eyes.. She has these huge, expressive little eyes (Yes, I know; I used "huge" and "little" in the same sentence, describing the same things.. Lol.). Still trying to think of a name for her. I want to go with the outer space theme.. Like Comet.. I said I was going to name my next fish Cosmo (Comet + Turbo = Cosmo), but...she's a girl. Lol. Maybe...Luna? I don't know..
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #16 
Sakura8

:) She sounds adorable! I'm glad she found a good home with you and Turbo. Luna is a pretty name. Or Nova. Wow, naming is tough, isn't it?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #17 
Comet1993

Very tough. I think that my sister was hungry. She wanted to name her Cherry..or Strawberry...Or Raspberry... xD Or..something else, but I can't remember. I finally put her in the tank. Her own, of course. She's intensely active. The only thing I'm concerned about is the heating.. The thermostat says eighty-two degrees, which is warmer than Turbo's tank, but I think it may be fluctuations, because I added and removed a lot of water to try to stabilize the temperature.. So, I wouldn't fry her..or freeze her.. I do have one of those mini heaters (Hydro Mini). I'm afraid to turn it on tonight, though; I don't want the water too hot for her. She seems to enjoy it the way it is.. But I don't want to wake up in the morning and have a fish-sicle.. :/
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #18 
Sakura8

The Hydor minis. They're the flat ones, right? Hmm. If it's been on for a while and 82 is the hottest it gets, then you should be okay leaving it plugged in. What I usually do is leave it plugged in until I go to bed and then unplug it. If the temp is warm enough and the house is warm enough, it should take all night for the tank to cool off, giving you plenty of time to wake up and plug in the heater in the morning. How big is her tank?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #19 
Comet1993

Yes, one of those. It says it's made for two-to-five-gallon tanks, the smallest I could find. I don't have it plugged in at the moment, because I was concerned about it getting too hot, since that was the issue with the water at first; it was almost at ninety (Eek!). Her quarantine tank is two gallons, but it has a little bit of small gravel in it, so it's a bit less, actually. It will be her temporary home for a while; then, I'm dividing my ten-gallon and putting her in with Turbo.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #20 
Sakura8

Utimately, what I ended up doing with my Hydor Mini was plugging and unplugging it as needed to keep the temp stable. I'm sure she's a happy girl with you. :)