Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM   #21 
Comet1993

Thank you. =] It ended up being on all day, and the temperature is at about seventy-seven, which is close to where Turbo's tank stays. It's supposed to keep it heated a few degrees above the ambient temperature, so it's doing a good job. =] It's kind of cold in our house, or I think so, anyway. Do you think I should unplug it tonight? Or should I just leave it plugged in to keep the temperature at seventy-seven? I fed her this morning! She ate three tiny granules, and it was sooo cute. I got my mother and sister in the room to watch, because it was so adorable!!! I can't get over how cute her little ventral fins are. I thought of the name Celeste today.. I feel so bad that she's not named yet... :( I just call her Little Girl Fish, for now. Lol.
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:06 AM   #22 
Sakura8

77 is about right. It can even go up to 80. If the heater is keeping it right about there without overheating, then you can leave it plugged in if you feel comfortable enough with it.

:) It took me so long to name one of my guys that his named ended up being Anonymous.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #23 
Comet1993

Lol. I thought about that name, too, actually. Anon, for short.. I think... I'm going with Celeste... Maybe. I got her a tiny plant. Her bowl looked lonesome. She and Turbo are interacting. =] It's sooo cute!!! She has so much personality. Oh... By the way, there may be other tankmates... There were some snails attached to the plants.. Lol. So cute. And I'm thinking.. Purple cabomba for her side and the original cabomba for Turbo's side. =)
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Celeste. Ooh, I really like that. It's a good name if you decide to stick with it. Haha, it's fun watching the guys and girls interact. Sometimes the girl will flare up and the male will actually cower.

If you get purple cabomba, get a plant fertilizer like Seachem Flourish. Purple cabomba is a little harder to grow than regular cabomba but if you can get it to grow, it will look super pretty.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #25 
Comet1993

The only thing is that it means "sky blue" in Spanish, which she's not. Lol. Still cute, though. They take turns staring at one another. She'll watch him swim around while he ignores her. Then, he'll stare at her and she'll ignore him. I just saw him blow a bubble. I had an idea, but I don't know how well it would work out.. When I divide the tank, I could have Turbo on one side and her on the other. Then, I thought that I could get another female or two later on to go with her, like a miniature sorority. I'm just worried that it wouldn't be enough room. Plus, I've never tried a sorority before.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Celeste can also mean heavenly or starry in Latin. :)

Mmm, the minimum recommended size for a sorority is a full 10g (that's what my sorority is in). You can always start out with the tank divided and then move Turbo to his own tank later on and turn the 10g into a sorority in the future. When you do decide to start a sorority, just let me know if you need any help getting it started.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #27 
Comet1993

My problem is that the largest tank allowed in college is a ten-gallon. :( They don't limit the amount of fish, just the size of the tank. I noticed that most of the sororities were in ten-gallon tanks, so I was just curious. Any ideas what I should do with the snails? :/
Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Oh, that's right, you got some hitchhikers with your plants, didn't you? You can keep them and they'll eat algae and other junk but they may also nibble on your plants. And pond snails breed worse than rabbits. o.O So you'll either have to remove a bunch of snails every few weeks to keep the population down, or you'll have to smush 'em now before they get established. :/ If you do want "pet" snails, I definitely suggest nerite snails. They eat algae like champs and they can't breed in freshwater so you don't have to worry about them overruning the tank.

Bummer about the 10g limit. So you can basically only have the 1 10g tank. Yeah, I really wouldn't recommend trying a sorority in anything but a 10g and up. But you could always divide the 10g and then get some pet snails or shrimp for each side.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #29 
Comet1993

I don't know what type of snails I have; there are only two. They have dark bodies and dark brown shells.. Any ideas? :/
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 PM   #30 
Sakura8

They're almost definitely pond snails. Those are notorious for coming in on live plants. It's up to you if you want to try and keep them or smush 'em. :) Good luck with them!