betta fish

Old 10-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #1 
PrettyLittleLiar

Patches on my betta (4 pics)

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 74 F
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 0

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times/day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Daily, since he got ich, now trying to cure fin rot
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner, Aq salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Don't know
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The spot under mouth appeared sometime last weekend. Just notice 2 more spots by the side of his head today.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hasn't. He swims around constantly, can never get a good picture. His appetite is all there, he practically knows which container his food is kept in.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aq salt. for fin rot. On it for about 4 days
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just treated him for ich last weekend
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know, from pet store. Had him for almost 2 weeks.

I posted the spot under his mouth before, and even though that spot hasn't changed since my last post. I'm worried about him considering the couple extra spots that popped up today. The pictures I've posted are the clearest I can get. He never stops swimming around, and my camera never seems to focus at the right time. *Sigh*

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! And I apologize if I come off as paranoid over nothing. Just want some answers if there are any to give. =)
Attached Images

PrettyLittleLiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #2 
teasell

Sorry I really don't know what this pretty guy has but was wondering why you were treating him for Ick and also fin rot. Is this related to the symptoms you have noted?
Also you might want to raise the temp of his container to about 78 degrees 74 might just be a tad low.
Hope you find out what is going on and get him healthy
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Maybe he rubbed a few scales off while he had ick? It's a possibility unless he was in a tank with no decor or substrate.

It doesn't look to be anything bad, but it would be best to keep an eye on it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #4 
PrettyLittleLiar

No, I didn't mix Aq salt with his Ich meds. I stopped his Ich meds on Monday, I believe. And I started with Aq salt on Tuesday to try to help his fin rot. So far, his fins don't lok like they are improving but they aren't quickly getting worse.

While I know 74 is a little low for a betta, I can't adjust it any higher. I'm looking into getting a new heater, but I've lost the receipt to the one I have right now. He doesn't seem lethargic, so until I can settle on one, I'll keep using this one for now. Any thoughts on the 25W Elite heater for a 2 gallon bowl. It's the only adjustable heater I've seen so far with the lowest wattage.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #5 
PrettyLittleLiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasell View Post
Sorry I really don't know what this pretty guy has but was wondering why you were treating him for Ick and also fin rot. Is this related to the symptoms you have noted?
Also you might want to raise the temp of his container to about 78 degrees 74 might just be a tad low.
Hope you find out what is going on and get him healthy
Sorry misread your post in my last posting. I treated him for ich because he had salt like spots all over him - well more like just his head and tail. Looked exactly like the pictures posted of ich on this forum except the white specs were never really on his body. Anyways, it really was ich, because within a couple days of ich meds, the salt spots were gone.

I never used Aq salt with the ich meds though. In case that was your next question.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #6 
teasell

Glad you got rid of the Ick sure hoping you can get this guy healthy. Sounds like you are doing pretty much everything right. Keep us posted
teasell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 AM   #7 
Sakura8

When ich parasites come off, they can leave raw wounds behind (because they suck onto the skin). That is most likely what you are seeing, especially if he had a very bad case. The AQ salt for his fin rot will help to keep those raw wounds from becoming infected until they heal. Don't use the salt any longer than 10 days though, even if his fins or wounds aren't better. Good luck with him!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #8 
PrettyLittleLiar

Ok. I'm starting to freak again. You say that the ich may have left raw wounds, but could it still occur over a week later? Today I came home to a streak on him (2 Pics below.)

And how can I help with his fin rot if I have stopped the use of Aq salt because I've been using it for almost 10 days now in conjunction with stress coat. (Pics below - 1 Before and 2 After)
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

For now, clean water should help him greatly. Feed him a high protein diet to help him heal his fins and any open wounds faster.

You could also soak some of his food in garlic juice to help boost his immune response.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:46 AM   #10 
Sakura8

I see the streaks you're talking about, Pretty. Have you seen him rubbing on anything, like he might have an itch? Wounds from ich parasites shouldn't be happening unless you are still seeing ich on him and he definitely doesn't have ich. Is the streak flat or does it seem like scales are missing?

Pata's right about the clean water and the garlic. You can continue with the stress coat but it sounds like he's just about up on the AQ salt.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote