Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #11 
EM0280729

Thank you so much! I will start immediately:) I'll keep you updated on the fish's health. Oh one more question, will his fins recover/regain their color.?
EM0280729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:59 AM   #12 
Sakura8

They should. They may not be the exact shade as the rest of his fins, but they should regain their color as they heal. You'll first start to see whitish/clear growth at the edges, then as that grows, it will color in.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #13 
EM0280729

i already stated the treatment, he seems to be doing better. He stopped flaking his color:) once again thank you so much
Old 11-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #14 
Sakura8

I'm glad he's doing better. :) Keep us updated.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #15 
EM0280729

Hello Sakura8:) well i have good news and bad news:(.... the good news is that the fishie is doing much better but yesterday i did not do a 100% water change because 10 days have passed, and i noticed the fin rod seemed to come back..So right now i did a complete water change and prepared new jug of water for tomorrow. Should i continue doing this until he is fully recovered? Is any medicine nessesary?
Oh how can i post pictures? I tried today but i was unable to figure it out? Could you please tell me how? I really want for you to see his improvement:)
And thank you so much for taking the time to help me..
-Edith M.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #16 
Sakura8

Hi Edith. I'm glad he's made improvements. :) I'd love to see pics of him so here's how you can upload pics.

Just below the message box where you type your reply, you should see a button that says "Go Advanced." Click on that. The screen will change. Above the message box, you should see a paperclip icon. It'll be next to the smilie face guy. Click on that. Click on "Choose File." Find your pic file and click on it, then click "Upload." Repeat as necessary until you've uploaded all your pics. When you are done, close the extra window and then click on "Post Reply." Voila! :)

For the moment, I don't think you need any more medicine but pics will help me see how bad (or good) the fin rot is right now.

Now that he's out of the salt, you can go back to a regular water change schedule. He should be okay with that. One 50% and one 100% change per week, unless you have a filter. If you have a filter, it's 25% and 50%.

Looking forward to seeing how he is. And you're welcome, I'm very glad I can help you out.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #17 
EM0280729

this pic is when he was sick

Name:  sick fishy.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.1 KB

this is when he stated improving
Name:  improving.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  44.6 KB

and this pic is when the 10 days had passed
Name:  much better.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #18 
EM0280729

He was doing good while i had him in the salt water but now that i put him back in regular water the fin rod seems like it came back. Its in his body now, i started the treatment again like 4 days ago but i really cant tell if he has improved. I will continue to do the salt water treatment, and see how it goes. Ill post a picture so you can see how he's doing. (i have a hard time taking pix he hates it haha) Well the fin rod hasn't affected his way of eating or behaving though, he seems pretty good.:)
Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #19 
Sakura8

I'm glad he is still eating and acting normally. Some forms of fin rot can be very, very, very persistent. So, the rot has gone from his fins to his body?

Since he's done salt treatment and it's only slowing but not stopping the rot, I think it's time we move to medication, especially if it has progressed to his body. The medicine you want, ideally, is called Seachem Kanaplex, a prescription grade strength of the antiobiotic kanamycin. Unfortunately, this medication has to be ordered online unless you are lucky enough to have a local fish store that stocks it.
http://www.kensfish.com/bacterial-medications.html

If you aren't comfortable with ordering online or you don't want to wait that long, then go to Petsmart and get Mardel Maracyn I and II. We can use that in combination, it will also work.

Let me know which medication you choose. As always, keep the water clean.

Hang in there!
Old 11-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #20 
EM0280729

:( yess it has gone down to his body. I'm really worried, i'm going to go to pet smart tomorrow and look for the medicine. If I don't find it i will order it online. Thank you sakura fir the advice it really helps :]