Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Should I snatch this guy up?

I was at lunch with my family today and we stopped by the pet store to look at the kittens. Of course, I went over to the bettas, and I saw the tiniest DT ever. He was active enough, but gray, and he has fin rot. He's also $7; a bit much for a small sick fish.
I don't like DTs or red bettas much, but I immediately was drawn to this guy. The other bettas were healthy and colorful, but this guy was pitiful. Right now I have Jalen in a 2.5 gal that just fits on my bedside table. I have an extra 1 gal that the DT could stay in until he's better/bigger. I'd have to order a heater and more decor, but I could put an electric blanket under the tank and give him some of Jalen's old/ugly decor until I get the stuff in. He'd have to stay in my bathroom until I found somewhere to put him.
As of right now, I'm going to wait until Thursday, when I get my paycheck. If he's still there, I'm going to trust that it was meant to be. But what do you guys think? Are two fish a lot more work than one, or does the workload stay about the same?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
Luimeril

2 fish is no problem, imo. i'm about to be back up to 7. xD

i'm drawn to the ugly ones. more than the pretty. that's why i got Scout, the guy in my avatar. so tiny, grey and ugly. he didn't look like much, and was hardly active. in my care, though.... he's almost black, with a blue shine. spunky and fast. just like the character he was named after.

fin rot's nothing clean water won't cure, so he's not sick. if he's still there, get him. if you can't stop thinking about him, it's fate.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #3 
freeflow246

Thanks for responding! I can't get him off my mind, but it's only been about two hours. If I'm still thinking about him by Thursday, if I get a nice paycheck, and if he's still there, I'm grabbing him.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #4 
laughing

My two are no harder than the 1... I have a 5 gallon bucket and I siphon their tanks at the same time into the one bucket, dump it in the bathtub, (I live in an apartment), then fill up enough water for both tanks into the bucket, treat all the water, pour, and acclimate them both at the same time. It maybe takes me an additional 5-10 mins now that I have another, but it isn't an extreme amount at all. And that's 2 days per week!

Just wait it out... You'll know!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #5 
Badjer

How friendly are the staff at the store? Perhaps you could ask to have him at a discounted rate since he looks unhealthy. If the other Bettas look fine, it's not like they can look at him and claim he's just as healthy as they are. If you can't get him off your mind, perhaps you were meant to have him! (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #6 
Indyfishy

He sounds really cute!!!! If you wanted to, you could always call the store and ask them if they could hold him for a few days until you get your paycheck!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Trust me. drawn to him, get him xD I mean... I have 14. and a good number of babies.o_o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #8 
freeflow246

Thanks guys! My mind is about made up now lol. Unless he's not there or something, I'll probably get him.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #9 
Bambi

Hope he's still there :3 Or that someone els gave him a good home.

two fish is about the same work load just two water changes instead of one(well and a second tank to scrub occasionally).

if you ever get a larger dresser or something a ten gallon doesn't take up much room and can be divided to give both more room for some very happy bettas xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:35 PM   #10 
freeflow246

Believe me, I would love a divided 10 gallon. Right now, my table is 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 feet, and I need to be able to fit my alarm clock and books on there and stuff too. Maybe sometime in the future I'll be able to get a larger divided tank though. :) *fingers crossed*
I know that Thursday is a while away, but I figured that if he's still there by then, no one's gonna get him any time soon.