Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 03:39 PM   #1 
vlnr2

Exclamation help! what do i do??

So I'm a college student and for the first time since getting my betta Phoenix, I have to leave to go on Fall break. I'm at a school where fall break is over a week long, and nobody is allowed in the dorms without paying a fee until its open, so I can't get anybody to fish-sit for me. What do I do?
vlnr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #2 
noahk11

You can use feeding tablets. I used two one week feeding tablets while i was gone.
noahk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

Do you have the option of taking him home with you for the week? you could always put him in his cup and put him in the cup holder in your car, and keep him in a gallon container at home if you don't want to have to drag his tank along with you!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

How long will your break be?
Can you take your fish with you?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

What size is the tank, filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes, when was the last, how long have you had him and how long has the tank been running, is it heated and do you have a thermometer, appetite...what has his general overall heath been....

I ask all these question so that we can get a better idea of how to help you....

He will be fine without food for the fall break time...but depending on his tank and overall care and health....water quality and temp is more of an issue since you can't take him with you for the break.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #6 
vlnr2

His tank is only a gallon (I know, he needs a bigger one, but I can't go and get him a bigger one yet), he has a filter that came with the tank and so far has been working smoothly. No live plants, I have the Tetra BettaSafe water conditioner that I use. His last water change was last Monday, and I'm changing his water later tonight. I've had him for a little under 2 months and he's had the same tank since then, I've done one full tank change a little under a month ago. His tank has a heater and thermometer, and its stable at 79 degrees. I feed him once in the morning at once at night, but he's ok if I don't get the chance to once or twice. He suffered some fin rot and ammonia poisoning at the beginning but he's all healthy now.

Think he'll be okay without me around from this coming Thursday (Nov. 3) until Nov. 13, when I get back?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #7 
vlnr2

OH, and I don't really have the option of bringing im home with me yet.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The 1gal tank is fine for a single Betta provided that you make the needed water changes.....

He should be fine for the 10days....I would turn off the light while your gone- unless you have it on a timer, make 50% water changes daily for the next 2 days-Dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank with the partial changes and feed him really good for those 2 days....don't feed him the day before or the day you leave...if the filter has filter media-give this a good swish/rinse in old tank water with the water change today......

When you get back home-make a 50% water change and feed him.....

Have a safe trip.....
Old 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #9 
vlnr2

Thanks! I have a question though--why should I not feed him the day or day before I leave?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Water quality is more important than food-
More food-more poop/byproducts=poor water quality.....when fish are shipped we usually will hold food for several days to get them cleaned out.....since you are going to be gone for 10/11 days water quality will be more of an issue...not food.....they can go several weeks without food and be fine......

Tags
break, leaving