Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #1 
Belated

5G/20L tank, help?

Hi! I'm still new and betta-less, but I have been on the hunt for a tank/heater/etc for the last few weeks. Today I stopped in at Crazy Clarks, and found a surprisingly good deal ($17) on a 20L tank! I bought it, and it came with, and "Power filter, air pump, plant, airline tubing, fish net & air valve."

I'll be throwing the sharp, pointy plant away, and probably the air valve too, but I'm not sure about the rest. Would a filter be good in a 20L tank? I know how to baffle it if need be, but would I have to cycle the tank? And whether or not I did filter, what water changes will I be doing each week?

Sorry for my noobish questions, I'm just so desperate to do this all properly. xD
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #2 
Gen2387

I have a 5 gallon tank and of course it is filtered. Mine came with the tank too, it's a SlimFilter by Marina and I put it on the lowest setting so it doesn't do much current. You just have to baffle it if it makes too much current. But yes in my opinion a filter is important. The only thing you still need is a heater and a themometer (they are SUPER important) I keep my temp between 78 and 80 degrees which is perfect for a Betta.

Good Luck setting your tank and finding a little betta!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 
ollief9

You don't really need the air pump for a Betta, but the filter is a must. IMO no filter = no fish (with the exepction of Walstad tanks). There is no particular need for you to cycle the tank, just be diligent over water quality for the first couple of weeks after adding your fish. Once the tank has established beneficial bacteria and has fully cycled, 50% water changes per weeks are necessary. 5 Gallons is a great size as you don't need to take the fish out while cleaning.

Don't worry, you're doing good so far! :)
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #4 
Belated

Sweet, thanks guys! So I was thinking one 50% and one 100% for the first few weeks with the filter (after throwing the air pump away xD), and then dropping to a 50% per week after a month or so? And am I right in saying that adding a couple of shrimp would be okay, once I'm done with 100% changes? c:
Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #5 
ollief9

Doing 100% water changes in a filtered tank will not help the bacteria to develop. Two 50% water changes per week for the first 3 weeks will be absolutely fine.

Be careful with shrimp, they can often become Betta food. :/
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM   #6 
Belated

Thanks so much~ C: And yes, I'm aware of the shrimp = dinner deal, but we'll see how that turns out - a lot of people on these forums seem to have success with them as long as there's lots of hiding places, which I plan to have. If not, well, I guess he'll have to live alone, I'm not bothering to bring in something like a snail. xD
Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 
Gen2387

My fishy lives all by himself in a 5gal and he's super happy. I agree with the above, shrimps might end up Betta food and snails are SUCH a bother... Their bioload is a pain.

I do a 25% and a 50% water change every week and my water chemical levels are always fine. Just don't forget the water conditioner for chlorines and chlorinates.

He's gonna be very happy in that big tank.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

I'm very jealous, that is a sweet deal! Good luck! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #9 
bastage

So I read all the way down in the thread & think I just realized that by 20L the OP is referring to 20 Liters, Not a 20 gallon long?.. heh.. So closed minded I am..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote