Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #1 
sanderle

Stocking a 10g

I've recently acquired the space necessary for a 10 gallon set up, and I want to do a community tank, so I was wanting tips on how to set it up.

I've heard of/seen neon tetras with bettas, but I've also heard that they do better in tanks larger than 10 gallon because they're so active. Would you recommend them? If so, how many would do well in a 10 gallon? Also, has anyone done platies with bettas? How did that turn out/would you recommend it? What other species would you recommend to go with a betta?

Finally, what order would you suggest adding the fish? The betta first, then later add the other species? Or the other way around?

Last edited by sanderle; 10-30-2011 at 05:53 PM.
sanderle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #2 
hedgehog

I don't have any of the species you mentioned but I have four cory catfish in a ten gallon and they do really with me betta. Whatever you get you should add the betta last so he doesn't see the other fish as invaders of his territory.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #3 
Bambi

I've been told to stay away from colorful or long fined fish with betta community tanks because it can lead to nipping and/or the betta getting territorial over what it thinks is another betta.

you could get five female bettas and do a sorrority. or divide it in half and have 2 boys.

or, if you wanna have one male these are some acceptable tankmates:

shrimp(they may get eaten, but ghost shrimp are cheap and easy to try out as a tank mate).

snails(apple or Olive Nerite have been suggested)

African Dwarf Frogs(not the african clawed frogs)

Otoclinus Catfish(alot ofpeoplelike having oto's, active and like to be in groups)

Corydoras Catfish(come in a few colors, like albino or panda, must get 4 or more..but can be a heavy bioload, over filtering a tengallon is recomended but idk what that means..)

....basicly bottom feeders xD

but White Cloud Mountain Minnows are peaceful with bettas ifyou want a non-bottom feeder

The tetras are kind of a toss up, some have had success and others haven't, you'd need 6 of them.

Platies are a no-no.

this is all a summed version of what i found here: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=14389 a good site full of people who have alot of experiance with bettas. They list other fish you can't pair with, and a couple who are maybies.

Last edited by Bambi; 10-30-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 PM   #4 
sanderle

Oh, I completely forgot about sororities! That actually sounds rather appealing. But are they hard/not recommended for beginners?
sanderle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM   #5 
Bambi

hmm, i wouldn't say hard? Just make sure you get girls who are roughly the same size and you add them at the same time to help with any agression issues.
if you know any breeders the best route would be to buy 5 sibling females. :) They're already used to being in the same tank with eachother.

If you buy them from, say, petsmart make sure you quarantine them before adding them to the tank together, in case one is sick. You /can/ keep them in their cups for this time as long as you change the water everyday and don't have 5 tanks you can set up xD

There should be a few threads around here about people who have sororities or advice setting one up.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Sororities are generally harder than communities, and a lot less predictable. I personally wouldn't try a sorority unless your girls are used to living in the same tank and your own tank is really heavily decorated.

In a ten gallon, I wouldn't do neons, but that's just my thing - I don't like to have them in less than 15 gallons. Other people keep them very successfully in a 10. In a 10, I would go for ember tetras every time. 8 of them with a betta would nicely stock a 10 gallon and would look lovely. Alternatively, 6 embers and 6 pygmy cories.
Another alternative is two African Dwarf Frogs.

I would advise against White Clouds - they are sub-tropical and won't enjoy the high temperatures a betta likes.

Platies are a risk - they are quite large and colourful. I've heard of male platies mistaking female bettas for their own ladies and harassing them to mate.

Definitely add the other fish first, then the betta. And make sure you have a backup tank in case the betta doesn't play nice.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote