Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #1 
revolutionrocknroll

Should I Say Anything?

My best friend's (since 6th grade) roommate got a betta fish. My friend's not an animal person, but she was very excited about the fish because she knows that I love them. However, I found out that it's kept in an unheated bowl (I don't know the size). I don't know if I should say anything, because I don't want my friend to think that I'm saying that she or her roommate are stupid or bad owners or anything. I did subtly try to hint that they should upgrade his home. I said that it's going to get pretty cold in the winter so they might want to get a heater. I then said more bluntly that it had to be kept at around 80 degrees. My friend said that her roommate had fish before so she knows what she's doing. We live in Vermont and the dorms are heated, but not amazingly so. I'm a bit worried for the fish, but besides that they take good care of it and they have good intentions. What would you guys do?
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
trilobite

If they care and enjoy the fish then I would tell them in a kind way. Causually say something like "the other day I was reading about how bettas are actually tropical fish and if they dont have warm water they die really quickly..."
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe you could print out some information on bettas for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #4 
Larkspur

I don't think it would be rude to tell them to get a heater and you should tell them to join this site! That way they can read all about betta fish here :3
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #5 
Kytkattin

You should inform her that unfortunately most knowledge about bettas is wrong. If her roomie got her information from a pet store employee then she has to remember that pet store employees are paid minimum wage and work this job temporarily (for most, it is not a career). They don't really care about the fish, and even if they do they are fed misinformation by the corporate company that runs the whole show and is only interested in profit.

There is a book by Animal Planet that is sold in most Petsmarts and Petcos that actually has correct information. Maybe you could purchase that for her as a gift.

You could also just throw out there that bettas are tropical fish that need to be kept at 80 degrees. No ifs, ands, or buts. They can survive in colder, but they won't live as long or be as happy and healthy.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #6 
Bellus Bellator

It's not rude to tell them a few things just apologize first for being so fastidious,whatever offence that may have been taken will be forgiven by the fact that you're a crazy fish person who can't help themselves. :)
Bellus Bellator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I definitely think you should say something. :) Being thought a little crazy is worth it if it means the fish gets a heater. :) If not, well, Christmas is coming up - at worst you can buy it as a present.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #8 
revolutionrocknroll

Thanks for the advice guys! I decided that maybe I should go see the fish to know exactly what conditions it's in, but my friend's roommate took it home for the weekend! But I'm going to see it soon and then casually bring up the heater (filter, bigger tank, etc if necessary) if I can.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote