Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #1 
FishCC

To anyone with Aqueon Mini Bow Aquariums or Aqueon filters

My new Aqueon Mini Bow Aquarium is all set up and has been running for about a day. The filter seems to have an odd wet dog/sulfur-like smell. Is it normal for this filter to smell this way? My fish is not in the tank: just rocks, a heater, water conditioner, and a couple of decorations.
FishCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #2 
Sakura8

The sulfur smell is possibly coming from the carbon. Did you rinse the filter insert before putting it into the filter? That might explain the smell.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #3 
FishCC

Yes I rinsed it with cool water twice. I wondered if the carbon had anything to do with it.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Did you add water conditioner? If you use a conditioner like Prime or Stress Coat, you can get a strong sulfur smell from them as well.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #5 
FishCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Did you add water conditioner? If you use a conditioner like Prime or Stress Coat, you can get a strong sulfur smell from them as well.
I added Aqueon water conditioner.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6 
LaLaLeyla

Yep my aqueon smells like that too. :P
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #7 
Badjer

Yeah it's definitely the carbon...mine smelled that way too. I have a new filter on order for my tank though. Those Aqueon filters are ridiculously big for the tank and even with it being baffled, mine had a pretty strong current.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #8 
FishCC

Thanks so much! I don't have to worry then.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #9 
FishCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Yeah it's definitely the carbon...mine smelled that way too. I have a new filter on order for my tank though. Those Aqueon filters are ridiculously big for the tank and even with it being baffled, mine had a pretty strong current.

Yeah I heard the current could be a problem for bettas. It's annoying how they advertise the Mini Bows as "perfect for your bettas" when their filters move the water around too much.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #10 
Badjer

It's horrible. Unfortunately, I got the "Betta Bow" version that my petstore told me would hold two males comfortably. That was before I began to research, and realized that they would benefit from more space than their divided 2.5 tank. I wish companies would only sell products that they knew worked well for the animals they make them for....
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon filter, mini bow, smell