Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #21 
TheCraftyGeek

That first background would be awesome with a bright red fish!
Be sure to take pics of your finished tank! :D
TheCraftyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #22 
Gloria

Yeah well that's what I was thinking. I won't be done for another 2 months but I will let you all see it once it's done. I am thinking dark blue gravel?!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 AM   #23 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
Ok so I am definetly going with the Smallville theme now as I have found out that's what he loves :)
The fish will be red (should be as both parents are) so I am thinking that should be the only red in the tank so he stands out more? Good Idea? Your thoughts?
I am thinking a nice background of the town or something as I think it would scare the Betta to have a background with people on it.

Also I was thinking about making and using this in my tank. Has anyone else on here come across this and made it? If so, is it ok to use? Otherwise has anyone on here made their own that works good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfi40v2O0k
PLEASE DON'T!!
Those twist ties are a very bad idea
They will rust and release toxins into the water.
You could use fish line to tie up the ends of the mesh and maybe some aquarium sealant to attach the suction cup to the mesh.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:30 AM   #24 
Gloria

Thank you vil. I didn't buy any of the stuff to make it as i wanted to see what others thought of it. I sure as heck do not want any of my fish to suffer. I will look into getting aquarium sealant.
Thank you.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 AM   #25 
vilmarisv

AQ sealant it's actually something you might find yourself using in a lot of projects. I made a cave for my fish using river rocks and sealant.
About the rust... even those "betta leaf hammocks" sold at the LPS get rusty. There's a wire that ataches the leaf to the suction cup. I actually think they don't sell them anymore bc I haven't seen them in a while.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #26 
Gloria

Oh ok.. Well I dont know how successful ill be in finding some. But I found this:
http://www.selleys.com.au/sealants/silicone/glass
It says it is safe to use of aquarium construction. Is this ok?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #27 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
AQ sealant it's actually something you might find yourself using in a lot of projects. I made a cave for my fish using river rocks and sealant.
About the rust... even those "betta leaf hammocks" sold at the LPS get rusty. There's a wire that ataches the leaf to the suction cup. I actually think they don't sell them anymore bc I haven't seen them in a while.
i know that my local petsmart still sells those zoomed hammocks. the wire just allows you to bend the leaf to a shape you like. i have two. for the first one, i covered the whole wire and the base of the leaf with sealant. for my second, i took the wire out, but there was still some at the base, so i just covered the base in sealant.

some say that the leaf falls out of the suction cup, but honestly, if you push it hard enough into the opening, it should stay in. just some fyi, if you want to buy those and don't mind fiddling with some sealant. (: i think it's a great idea, just some poor execution by zoomed.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #28 
Gloria

So just wondering. There are another 7-8 weeks before I am going to give my brother his tank and fish...
I am just wanting some help with the tank. I think it would be very boring to get a new tank and have to wait days - weeks before being able to put the fish in it.. Do I need to cycle the tank before I put his fish in? If so, how long for does it need to cycle before I can add the fish? The tank is only an 8L tank..
If I do not need to cycle the tank, how long before I put the fish in should I have it set up. A week?
There are probably more questions for me to ask but I cannot think of any right now :)
Thanx in advance for any and all help/ advice!
Old 11-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #29 
Gloria

So I now only have 6-7 weeks until I give my brother his tank and fish.
I have the tank, filter and gravel.
Since the tank is a 2g tank, do I need to cycle it and if so, how long for. Should I cycle it with the gravel and plants/ ornaments in it?