Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 AM   #1 
ourmiraclekids

NEWBIE and trying to save a walmart crowntail betta

Hi everyone. My name is Stephanie and I am new to caring for fish and as always I have taken on more than I can chew. Last thursday I was in Walmart and saw this sad betta in the cup and I could tell he was sick. I made them give him to me for free since he was on deaths door. He is really bloated and has one eye popping. The weird thing is that he is really active and seems to be happy (strange). Also he isn't eating so I am shocked he is still alive. I do leave a pellet or bloodworms just in case so he may be knibbling on that I am not too sure. I have been water changing daily and added some salt. My question is that do you think he has some hope or am I just delaying the inevitable?
ourmiraclekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

It never hurts to try and it sounds like he has the will to live....good that you are making daily water changes and offering food....once he settle he may start to eat for you....

I would keep him in the small cup and start Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins on him for the swelling.....along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this water for your water changes.....do smaller percent to start to acclimate him to the treatment water then the 100%.....

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM   #3 
ourmiraclekids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum....

It never hurts to try and it sounds like he has the will to live....good that you are making daily water changes and offering food....once he settle he may start to eat for you....

I would keep him in the small cup and start Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins on him for the swelling.....along with 100% daily water changes for 10-14 days...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and use this water for your water changes.....do smaller percent to start to acclimate him to the treatment water then the 100%.....

Keep us posted....

Thanks for the encouragement and help. I don't know what Tannis is or dried oak leave. Where do i get this? I just bought this stuff called Betta Revive it was the only stuff they had besides BettaFIX which I read on here may not work well. Also I have him in about a gallon of water right now should I put him in a smaller container or back in the original cup?
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
Myates

You could leave him in either, the smaller cup helps if you have larger tanks. But a one gallon isn't hard to do daily 100% water changes in, just cup him while doing them, then float him in the tank for about 20 mins, taking out some of the water from the cup and adding in water from the tank to help him adjust to the chemistry properly.

Epsom Salt can be purchased at Walmart in the pharmacy dept for less then $2 for a decent sized box. Make sure it's dye/fragrance free, and dissolve the salt prior to adding him in it.

IAL is indian almond leaves, normally you have to purchase those online. As for oak leaves.. if you have an oak tree nearby, collect naturally dried and fallen leaves from it, pesticide free. Soak them in a container for about 30 mins and it makes tannin.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #5 
Larsa

you are so brave :( thank you for trying to save the life of that fish...when it comes to walmart bettas... sometimes theres not much you can do. They really dont care about their fish. I saw a lethargic fish at my walmart and litterally the next day it was dead with pine-coned scales. Also I saw a normal healthy-looking fish and litterally the next morning I came back in and they were dead covered in thick white slimy mucus. However, I have lots of hope in you :( you acted so quickly! Im very happy that people everywhere want to help betta fish. ^-^

Epsom salt is awesome for bloated bettas and treating pop-eye. ^^ works like a charm!
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #6 
ourmiraclekids

WOW thanks....I have been using aqaurium salt is that ok too or is that different? I am going to post a picture of him in a minute.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #7 
Larsa

AQ salt is normally for fin rot, parasites, fungus, and helps prevent infections. Epsom salt is a great laxative for bloating ( makes fishies poop! ) and can easily treat pop-eye along with clean water. Also to keep in mind with salts, salt doesnt evaporate but their water does which can be bad for fishies if water changes arent kept up with! Too much salt or long-term salt usage can cause organ failure in fish so be careful!

* its great that you bought betta revive, but it isnt necessary at this point. OD whether by accident or not can hurt fish easily. My boy, Izume was temporarily "paralyzed" for a few days when I gave him a drop that was pre-mixed in his cup! I had to instantly remove him... The clean, warm water with a dash of Epsom salt is great for now ;) I wish the almond leaves could be sold at petsmart or petco. They work soo well, but by the time the leaves come in the mail it could be too late! :O In case if you dont know what tannins are, its kinda like the "tea" that leaves/plants make when soaked in water for a while.

Last edited by Larsa; 10-31-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #8 
ourmiraclekids

Thanks Larsa I am trying... :) I am shocked that he is 5 days in my care already. Here he is :)

It was so sad there were at least 20 cups all with Bettas but I couldn't take on them all unfortunately. If this one lives I will go rescue another. The poor things :(
Also this one's name is 'fishie fishie' my 3 year old named him. The other side of him looks worse but he swims with the glass on that side.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #9 
ourmiraclekids

Ok I will go get some tonight THANKS for the tip :)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:55 PM   #10 
ourmiraclekids

Here is gator my healthy one he is of course in a different tank.