Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #11 
Myates

Yeah, AQ salt can actually make bloating worse, but it's good to have for external problems such as what Larsa had listed.

Cute boys you have, Fishie will become beautiful once he is at full health.
The only thing that is concerning me some is that his belly is pine coning (Epsom will help that too), and it looks as if he is missing a lot of scales around his head area.. is it just his coloring, or is there no scales there? As well as he looks as if he is blind or partially blind.. notice him not seeing your finger or food sometimes? It might explain why he swims with that side to the glass, as he feels secure on that side with something constantly there, and he can see the inside of the tank with his good eye.. something to consider. If he is partially blind, he will still live a happy, healthy life once recovered.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #12 
ourmiraclekids

oh man the poor thing. I can't tell if the scales are gone but it does look like they are!!! Damn walmart! It is torture of this poor fish :( Should I do anything different if it is scale loss?
ourmiraclekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

If it is scale-loss, definitely stop using AQ salt. Although it is good for fighting infection, etc, clean warm water will do the job and you run the risk of salt irritating his scale-less skin.

Good on you for rescuing him! :) If he heals up, he's going to be a beauty. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #14 
ourmiraclekids

Update :( He is looking worse. I now see the other side of him the more bloated stomach but the eye is ok. The other side is the same as pictured. I am still doing daily water changes with the epsom salt. I am worried because he hasn't eaten while I have had him yet (I got him last Thursday) because of the bloat I hate to try.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM   #15 
ourmiraclekids

.After today's water change he is on his side. Poor guy. Should I take him out of his misery or keep trying :(........ Wait I spoke too soon he has righted himself..
Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Are you using aquarium salt or Epsom salt....and how much and how many days has he been in the treatment....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #17 
ourmiraclekids

I am using Epsom salt and two days of that. I stopped the aquarium salt. I have been doing water changes daily since I got him last thursday with aquarium salt but stopped that when you guys told me to..So now only epsom salt and it has been two full days of that.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Good...what about tannins...either IAL or dried oak leaf will work...if you have any Oak trees near by that are free of pesticide...gather some naturally dried and fallen from the tree- Oak leaves....I use 12-18 crushed per gallon of premixed treatment water....the longer they steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it....

The tannins have-antibacterial/fungal properties, can lower the pH slightly, toughen scales/fins, eases stress.....great to use long term, short term...treatments.....etc......

Since its only been 2 days.....he needs more time....it can take 5/6 days before you see improvement-but I would do a full 14 day treatment....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #19 
ourmiraclekids

ok thanks I am a little afraid of making the tannis LOL I will try how do you sry the leaves? Toaster, microwave, or naturally??????
Old 11-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #20 
ourmiraclekids

sorry you said naturally dried. I crush them and add them to the water and put that into the tank or strain it like tea?