Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #21 
ourmiraclekids

Ok my neighbor just pruned a bunch off his oak tree for me. Should I toast them in the oven to dry them? The ones on the ground would have pesticides on them.
ourmiraclekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #22 
GamerGuy

Drying Leaves

It may take a while to dry the leaves naturally. Pressing them within napkins in books may help to remove moisture faster, especially if you remove them daily to air out the moisture from the napkins. If your oven can go to a low but warm daytime temperature (about 80-100 F) it may dry them faster, but may also damage the tannins. Be very careful not to burn the leaves if you try using the oven; it may help to use an oven thermometer to confirm proper temperature, as well as to open the oven periodically to let out some heat and moisture.

Naturally, if you have a dehydrator for drying herbs or jerky; that would be the best hasty option. I'd use the setting for drying herbs, and a thicker herb if many options are listed. After reading your post, I think I may try tannins and epsom salt for treating my ill fish.

Edit: I'm fairly certain you should strain the leaves out to keep your water quality cleaner.

Last edited by GamerGuy; 11-02-2011 at 05:42 PM.
GamerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #23 
ourmiraclekids

Thanks Gamer :) I am going to try and toast a few of them and see how I make out. Thyere is an entire tree outside so I can always get more if I need to.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #24 
Oldfishlady

You want to keep the temp below 110F if you dry them in the oven...the dehydrator is a good idea....By getting the temp too high can destroy the antibacterial/fungal properties-they will still release tannins that are great for stress but will have little in the way of natural medication.

I don't strain the leaf bits-but you can....I have found that the Betta in a small bare QT container enjoys the leaf bits to pick at and use for cover.

By premixing the treatment water in a 1gal jug (I use old milk jugs) of dechlorinated water-Add the Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and the crushed Oak leaf and let this steep for at least 30min to start releasing the tannins and salt to dissolve-this will give you more control to give the correct dosage and make water changes easier. Shake well before use..the longer it steep the darker it will become....

It best to use a small QT container for treatments-this gives you more control, better for observation and easy to make the needed water changes

The small temporary cups a lot of Bettas are sold in work great for QT container and they are small enough to float in a heated tank to maintain temp-be sure and attach to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter...Be sure and save them and the lid to use for QT and to cup when you do 100% water changes....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-02-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #25 
ourmiraclekids

Ok Fishie Fishie is still hanging on. He is very mellow and the bloating is not any better it actually looks worse and it seems we have the start of fin rot. My heart breaks for this little guy. I am trying my best and that is all I can do. It looks like white is on the tips of his fins. Should i add the AQ salt back? Also when we do water changes he is stressed and lays on his side for a couple of seconds before he rights himself again.

Last edited by ourmiraclekids; 11-04-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #26 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...usually white tips are a sign of new fin growth....unless they are fuzzy looking...

Is he eating and responding to you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #27 
ourmiraclekids

I went to a teachers conference for my older son and came home and we lost Fishie Fishie while I was gone. :( My youngest is devastated. I told him he was sick and we tried to make him better but he was just too sick. Thanks you guys for all your help. I am wondering if I should go try and rescue another one. I think Fishie Fishie was just too far along when I got him the poor thing :(
The white tips were a little fuzzy and he had longer ones going down the things under his gills that looked like long strings.

Last edited by ourmiraclekids; 11-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #28 
ourmiraclekids

here's good news

I was telling my friend (our older kids play together) the entire story....She looks at me all excited and says OMG let me tell you what happened. Her husband let the water quality go poor on her betta they have and they thought it was dying. They rush to the store and buy a replacement since their daughter had just written this whole story in school about her fish friend with a whole bunch of emotional stuff. So they thought she would really flip. They go get another betta who looked as close as they possibly could. They moved what they thought was the sick Betta to a new bowl so he could pass on. They water change the bigger bowl and add the new betta to the big bowl. After about an hour they look over at "sick" Betta and he is swimming happy as can be. It was the water change that revived him. So now they have a quandry. They don't want two fish to keep. So she asked me if I wanted to adopt the new fishy since old fishy is fine they just over reacted instead of changing the water they panicked. So after sterilizing everything yesterday we have a new betta (yet to be named) and he is gorgeous and looks very healthy. Minus a tiny bit of fin rot most likely from the store where they got him. :)