Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #1 
dormfish

Male Crown Tail with livebearers?

So the other day, I bought my first Betta, Odysseus. As seen in the title, he's a male Crown Tail, and he is very pretty. I have him in a 1 gallon alone, but I was wondering if I would be able to add him into my 10 gallon. There are 3 platys and 2 guppies in it.

Good idea?? Bad idea?
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I have had mellow bettas with guppies and platy. Platy sometimes can be nippy - but ones I seem to find are scared of bigger fish so leave them alone. Guppies, usually do not mind, but there are some mean ones - and some bettas take offense to male guppy colors You can try. I'd float him, for half an hour, see his reaction (flaring is not good, especially if he does not stop flaring when the half hour is over!), then introduce him. When introducing rearrange ornaments and fake plants. This makes the territory no longer a particular fish's (like one of the platys may "own" a plant). Make sure to keep an eye on everyone! Check fins constantly for ripped edges. Look for stress signs!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #3 
dormfish

Ok, I'll put him in the separation net and see what he does. He's a pretty mellow guy. I just feel bad having him in such a small tank :(

UPDATE: sitting in the net box. My male guppy is investigating him tentatively. Odysseus isn't even turning his way. Good sign, since the guppy is the brightest in the tank. :)

Last edited by dormfish; 10-26-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That's okay :) I got two males in 1 gallon tanks, but trust me it is okay for some bettas as there are bettas (I have them!) who hate large spaces, but I have most in larger containers or tanks. If your guy is like my Spartan you will have no problem! Expect some chasing, a little nipping from him if anything, then afterwards it'll be fine. If he doesn't stop chasing, then there is a problem. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 
dormfish

I don't think he's liking it too much. :/ he keeps hiding in the plants and in the corners.

Last edited by dormfish; 10-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Not just yet :) let him flare. it's kind of an establishment. My Spartan did it too ^^ then he didn't care. I have had that fishy with guppies, both genders, balloon mollies, danios (leopard), long fin danios (one tore his pectoral fin >/), platy... Try for half an hour like I said :) then you will tell xD
Old 10-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #7 
dormfish

He was looking very scared when I put him in there. He kept going behind the plants and getting his pretty fins caught on one of them.... Maybe I'll try to find a cheap 3 gallon.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

He's probably feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the space. My new boy came into my 5 gallon tank from what was probably a 1/2 gallon max, at the shop, and for the first day I barely saw him at all. The second day he would swim around if he thought no one could see him. Now he loves it and I can't imagine him in anything smaller. :)

Give him time. Dense decor always helps.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I agree :) some bettas can be overwhelmed - a new place, more space, and other fish. Also the plant hebgot caught on is probably rough.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #10 
dormfish

I think I'll upgrade him to a bigger tank. I don't want him to get hurt on the plastic plants or hurt the livebearers.