Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #91 
SpookyTooth

Oh my word! It's absolutely gorgeous! I truly am in awe of your aquariums, Oldfishlady - congratulations with the angel fish, I'm glad this batch are doing well and I hope all the inhabitants continue to do so.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #92 
Silverfang

In breaking news... a local woman's house was broken into. The only thing stolen was the contents of one fish tank.

Lol. I hope I can get mine half as nice.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #93 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....thank you.....live plants are a lot easier than they are given credit for even in regular substrate....It all come down to the proper color temp lights that promote photosynthesis......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #94 
mathkid

I love your NPTs =) I think I want to try one! I have a 1g bowl and a 2.5g tank that I've been wanting to make rimless. Can you get away with a tank with no animals at all? Or just snails? I don't really want to get shrimp and I don't want to risk any fish...

Do you know where's a good place to get MTS? How many snails per gallon (i.e. for a 1-gallon bowl, how many snails should you put in? 5 gallons?)
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #95 
Aus

Wowwww!

Yay, so glad they're all fine and settled - and omgosh, so pretty!

I can't wait to show Daughter these pics, she so loves angelfish.. is taking great care of her betta, too, wants a 10 gallon NPT for him. I said she could, after we move but she has to help with the setup, lol. Your tanks have really inspired her interest in fishies. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #96 
Jupiter

This is amazing OFL! I've been thinking of turning my 10 gallon in a NPT shrimp tank. I don't have much of a green thumb, but there's a lot of helpful advice here. Hopefully someday I can get a tank like yours!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #97 
Oldfishlady

Thank you all.....

No, you don't have to have fish or shrimp in the NPT-snails only will be fine..I would start with a couple of MTS and soon you will have many.....some pet shops will have them for free-since they tend to be pest and reproduce so fast....nice livebearer snail to help prevent anaerobic soil....
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #98 
kfryman

I want to do another NPT, but I don't have another tank for it nor the space. One thing I learned is plants root like crazy in soil. My rotala was hard to just get out of the tank. My swords... That's a different story lol.

Beautiful tank as always OFL.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #99 
Hopeseeker

Random question for OldFishLady: Do you use your carbon in your Fluval U3? I have a Fluval U2 for my future sorority and was wondering about the carbon.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #100 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....Isn't that the truth.....Plants do love dirt and that is one of my biggest problems too....They grow so well that I am running out of space for tanks.....My back bedroom might end up being another fish room at this rate....lol....

Hopseeker-No, I don't use carbon in any of my tanks, however, I always keep fresh unused carbon on hand for emergencies.

IMO/E-carbon/activated charcoal is a personal choice- more than a need. It is short lived and can't be recharged.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.