BettaQi

So inspiring!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #102 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
So inspiring!
Thank you....these are great system, easy to care for once they are mature and thriving......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #103 
Aus

My soil's just settled in properly in the 10 G NPT after a month and a half or so.. and wow, am I seeing plant growth. Stuff is going crazy in there! And my big cranky plakat is just loving the dense planting.. and I am very much enjoying all the plant species, and watching them grow.

I'm really grateful for the info and encouragement you provide, OFL. Thanks very much. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #104 
laoshun

If I were to buy soil, what would you recommend or does it not matter as long as it is soil?
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #105 
Oldfishlady

Thank you Aus, it is amazing how well plants grow in dirt...lol...And oddly enough it really doesn't make mud or messy like you would think when mixing dirt and water.....lol.....Once the dirt starts its life underwater and is alive and the plants thriving-these system can almost take care of themselves....lol....
Even when I pull plants and/or re-plant-I may have some dirt in the water column for 5-10min but it always settles fairly fast and other than the small amount of dirt that settles on the plant leaves-you would never know I pulled up plants.....

And then the behavior changes I have seen with the livestock....Amazing....I am seeing behaviors you only dream about....laffs.....

laoshun-not any dirt will work-If you want to use bagged dirt-look for organic type potting soil without any additives like ferts or you can use the bagged top soil.
I use all kinds of different dirt from organic potting soil, top soil, kitty litter and dirt from my yard-mix and matched...etc....Then capping the dirt/soil with either playsand, pool filter sand or small diameter gravel with equal success.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #106 
SpookyTooth

I still yearn to do an NPT one day but for now I've found a balance that is working well for me without soil. Once I'm comfortable with what I currently have I'll be sure to try again... Thank you for a billionth time, Oldfishlady! You've really proven an inspiration to me and I can't wait to see the next update.

Are you planning any more tanks at any time soon?
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #107 
Oldfishlady

Thank you, I am planning to tear a couple of tanks down and re-do them...I just dread doing it since its a lot of work....lol....The 75gal is getting over grown in bronze crypts, jungle val and naja grass and the 25gal has no floor space left and needs to be re-done too....I have pulled loads of plants out of these tanks every couple of weeks-they just grow faster than I can keep up sometimes....lol....

I like to wait until fall or spring when the weather is nice enough for me to have the doors open to make hauling buckets of mud outside easier and to hook the siphon up so that I can drain the water outside in the yard/garden by gravity. I have one python hooked up to the sink to fill them and one python on gravity to drain...Love my pythons.....
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #108 
SpookyTooth

Gosh. I bet the 75gal will be something to remember! Best of luck with them, I'm sure it'll work out wonderfully though!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote