Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 PM   #11 

georgous tank. iv'e had planted tanks for several years now and can appreciate a tank thats nicely planted and maintained. not as easy as it seems. nicely done. love the whits pool sand. my next re-plant is going to be that sand as a base layer. are you using ferts and co2?
909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #12 
ChelseaK

Gorgeous! I don't know if you remember that I made a 10 gallon NPT attempt awhile back. I'm pleased to say that it is going strong, and you are right! The problem with them is the plants growing too fast! I love it though and I hope to set up another 10 gallon NPT just using clippings from this tank and with sand substrate rather than the gravel that I have in this one. Thanks for the inspiration OFL!
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:30 AM   #13 
Myates

You definitely have an eye for making gorgeous tanks :) Once again, I'm in awe when it comes to you.

Sounds like you put in a lot of effort to make it perfect, and it looks it.. I bet all your aquatic little ones are in heaven!
I have to agree, so much more fun watching their little worlds over some sitcom that's been over played.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:38 AM   #14 
Silverfang

It just looks amazing OFL. I'd be happy to have just a fraction of your green thumb.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Thanks....and 909....no added ferts or CO2 used other than what is naturally produced by the system itself from decomp and the livestock......the dirt layer that is under the sand is the main nutrient base for plants....near to a complete ecosystem that you can create in a glass box or closed system....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #16 
Alex09

Really nice! You were my source of inspiration when I set my my first NPT crypt tank a few months back and it's going great. Hope to have a large tank someday.

I hear that it stinks something awful when you tear down an NPT... True?
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #17 
Captain Jim Dandy

Absolutely stunning and impressive.
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I really expected it to stink a lot worse than it did since this was the tank that I had a lot of trouble with-I had used sand that I had harvested from one of my stock ponds to cap the soil layer and it caused massive silts and I had to add a layer of gravel to get it controlled....so the total substrate layer was well over 41/2 inch and you could see the anaerobic spots on the outer edges...but I kept it running for near 5 years without any health problems-I did have a few problems with rosette plants that would rot-the vals and sags I started with I had to replace and plant the new ones higher and a bout with BGA the first year...but other than that-no problems...well..except the silts did a number on the filter and that was off for about a year or so...but the naja, moss and hygrophilia grew in masses and non-stop BN pleco spawning......and this was with maybe....6-8 water changes over that 5 years it was running......by design they need limited water changes...you can't get away with this with regular substrate or just sand setups..... plants or not...the soil is alive and what helps to recycle DOC's along with the active growing plants.....

I really expected rotten egg smell that would knock your head off...but it didn't- a slight sulfur smell-more like the bottom of an over watered house plant and it must have not been too toxic because the next day I fished out a few more RCS..it took me 2 days to tear it down...lol.....makes me think twice about tearing the 75g down and starting over...lol......but I sure like the end result of the 55gal this time......

And then when I was getting ready to place the new light bulbs in the light strip.......disaster......a cat knocked the new bulbs over and they Exploded everywhere......what a mess...glass all over the place...had to stop what I was doing-clean the glass and vacuum the floor.........so I had to wait another day to replace the old light bulbs since its nearly 30 mile round trip to town.....

My marble crayfish loved it...they got a lot of the snails and unused plant pieces...lol.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-13-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

That's an inspiration! What is that floating plant you use? I really want some.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #20 
copperarabian

thats so cool you have water lettuce, I really want to get some but it's illegal in California so it's hard to find :( I saw some on sail on Craigslist but didn't jump at the chance since I didn't know how hard it would be to find.

Your aquariums are really inspiring, I finally got my 16g sorority to look similar to yours and I'm so proud of it :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote