Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #41 
Oldfishlady

Thank you...I have a buyer for every plant, fish and invert I can grow-thats what pays for my hobby.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #42 
LittleBettas

And its no wonder, your fish and plants are GORGEOUS and obviously well cared for
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #43 
Laki

Beautiful tank!!
I have a q about plants and I don't want to hikack your thread, but since Lakitu passed I cleaned the tank and gravel and re-added back the plants. Now there's nothing in the water for the plants to "eat".. I was wondering what I can add (not fish/shrimp etc) to help stabilize the water? I want to add Bowser to it in a couple days.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #44 
Oldfishlady

Thank you,
Since you plan to add a Betta soon-the byproducts produced from the fish as well as normal decomp from the plants themselves will provide some food for the plants and then you have fish food which is a great source of plant food.
Since plants are alive they also will provide a source of food for the biological filter- and in filtered tanks with live plants can make the fish-in cycling process easier and safer in some cases-this of course depends on the number, species and growth state of the plants...what is most important for live plants-is the correct color temp or Kelvin, age of bulb and photoperiod-without proper light the plants will have a hard time using any food...
Old 01-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #45 
Laki

well, I have some java fern, moss balls and hornwort in there- they don't require special lighting, desklamp light is their mode of light-
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #46 
Aus

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, lovely tanks everybody!

OFL, forgive all the questions but I'm new to fishkeeping and NPT's really interest me as I love plants and always wanted to learn more about aquatic species. I have one betta currently in a 2g unfiltered (lots of water changes) and am very soon moving him to a 5 gallon.

-- Is 5g too small a tank to support this system?
-- If not, what kind of lighting requirements would a tank that size have?

Also:

-- Is store bought potting mix + clay litter okay?
-- What proportions do you mix those in?
-- Have you ever had any issues with disease from potting mix?
-- How deep does the soil level need to be, minimum?
-- Is fine aquarium gravel sufficient to keep the soil in place or is sand a necessity? Can gravel go over the sand?
-- If something's going to go horribly wrong, what's that most likely to be?

Again, sorry for all the questions! I'll look through some more threads for tips here, too.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #47 
Oldfishlady

I have made NPT in 1gal up to 75gal tanks...in tanks smaller than 3gal- I don't use filters or any water movement even on start up usually....

I would use a standard organic potting soil without any additive in a 2gal-5gal with either small gravel or sand as the cap....

In 2gal-1in soil with half inch sand or gravel cap
In 5gal 1.5in soil with half inch sand or gravel cap

Then plant lots of stem plants-add water and make water changes until the water is clear-then add floating plants-add trumpet snails and the Betta once the water is at temp-make twice weekly 50% water only change for the first 4-5 weeks-then decrease to 50% water only weekly for 4-5 weeks-then monthly thereafter to maintain the system-provided that you have good plant growth and need to trim weekly

Lights-you may need to change the bulb-look for a daylight bulb in the 5500-6500k range and 5-7.5watts or what ever the light strips is graded for ...start on a 10h/day photoperiod...

As long as you have something that will burrow in the soil to help prevent anaerobic areas like trumpet snails until the rooted plants start growing well and you start with enough of the right species of plants-add floating plants-don't over clean especially the substrate-have the correct lights...you shouldn't have many problems.....

If you check out my album I have more pic of smaller tanks with info

Look forward to seeing your post with pic once you get the tank setup...

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 02-07-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #48 
blueridge

Wow amazing tanks OFL!!!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #49 
Oldfishlady

Thank you...looks like I need to update my pics....
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #50 
Aus

Thank you so much for that information. Your gallery is lovely, and I enjoyed looking through it.

It'll probably take me a few weeks to set this up, but I'm really eager to do so, and feel a lot more confident to try this out knowing you've had success with smaller tanks. I'll post some piccies when it's up. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote