Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #61 
Oldfishlady

I kept Angelfish back in the 1960's and due to my hard water I was never successful in keeping them long or breeding them. I have done a great deal of research and over the years since they are farm raised they have adapted to the harder waters and hobbyist have been able to keep and breed in most source water.....I have wanted to keep and breed this species for a very long time and the Koi Angelfish are hard to come by in my area-otherwise I would have got them local....due to their size I suspect that makes them a bit more delicate to be shipped over 1300 miles.......

Sadly, I now only have one left...dang.....the largest is the only survivor-it acts and looks healthy but so did the others.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #62 
Aus

Oh no! Only one left? 1300 miles is a long way.. is there any chance you could get the water chemistry details from their breeder and mimic it, until they can be transitioned to yours? Maybe that would help ease the stress of transport? Is that a dumb question?

You must be so disappointed. I'm sorry you've lost your beautiful fish.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #63 
inareverie85

I'm so sorry :( Angel's are so dainty, and shipping's rough on them. :(

Do you use the drip acclimation method?
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #64 
Oldfishlady

Yes, drip acclimation...after I removed the dead bodies from the water I placed them in a bucket and added an ammonia neutralizer then using airline hose with a knot tied in it for drip acclimation on the Angelfish and cup acclimation on the flag fish....all flag fish alive and well...3 pairs in 3 different tanks...thats a pretty neat fish too and starting to color up today....
Old 03-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #65 
Myates

I'm so sorry you lost so many angels :( Unsure how you could of done anything different.. :( Poor little ones.

Angels are very special to me, ever since my first one back in '96.. a black lace male who was my buddy. He did the dance for me when I entered the room, eat off my hand, etc.
Shadow Dancer was a great angel, and I wish I could have him back :( He lived with me for a few years, happily eating ghost shrimp and being the boss of the tank..

Koi Angels are absolutely stunning when you find ones with strong colors and a good mix. Wondering if location plays a big factor in availability- back in Arizona, 90% of the angels being sold were koi, then silver, then copper-black were the next most common.

The flag fish looks interesting!

Last edited by Myates; 03-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #66 
SpookyTooth

I absolutely adore your aquariums, Oldfishlady! I'm sorry for your angel fish losses of late and I hope you are able to breed them in future - I'm sure once you finally reach that point the trials and losses will have not been in vain.

I have always loved the thought of NPTs and have finally decided to attempt one of my own - I'm a huge fan of red cherry shrimp as well so I'm going to transform one of the 2 gallon aquariums in our shed into a loving home for a breeding colony of RCS. I've made plenty of notes based off your recommendations and wanted to thank you for all the support you've provided for everyone regarding these fascinating and beautiful aquascapes.

I've never been overly successful with live plants but have learned of my errors and am willing to try again. If I may ask... do you have any recommendations as to plant species for those who aren't overly confident with live plants such as myself? I am a huge fan of willow moss (Fontinalis Antipyretica?) and water lettuce and would really like to get both of these into the aquarium if possible. Outside of the usual amazon swords and "easy", "basic" species I know next to nothing - I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give.

Thank you for sharing these astounding photographs and I hope things look up!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #67 
Oldfishlady

Thank you.....

Don't know if you have seen this link.....but here it is again......from Diana Walstad book....
http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf

Good starter plants....just about any moss, naja grass, crypts, ludwigia, rotala, water wisteria...the list is endless-but these have all done well for me.....
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #68 
SpookyTooth

Thank you very much :) I have seen the link - saved it to favourites! Fantastic article!!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #69 
Oldfishlady

Smile

Some updated pic from today.......
I added 20 Betta juvies for grow out, a pair of Florida flag fish(actually it might be 2 females/the extras), breeding pair of bushynose longfin albino pleaco and their fry (about 30), lots of RCS (Red cherry shrimp), lots of common snails-ramshorn, pond, MTS and my single Koi Angelfish and it has nearly doubled in size...he/she loves its mosquito larva...lol...soon should have 4 more Koi Angelfish, (due to be shipped next week)-but they will go into QT for about 4 or so weeks before adding to the tank.

Enjoy.....
Old 03-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #70 
Bombalurina

The tank looks so beautiful! I love all that green. :) And it looks so natural...which I suppose is the point...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote