Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #81 
Oldfishlady

Thank you......and they look so pretty in this 55gal NPT too.......I hope I get a pair from this group....I have always wanted to try breeding this species again.....I can't wait......laffs.....going to be fun......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #82 
Oldfishlady

Bit of an update.....

Angelfish are all doing great-so neat watching them school together.......but I had to remove the 2 Florida flag fish due to aggression issues and for being too fast eating all the mosquito larva and daphnia before the Angelfish and Betta juvies could eat....so back to the 75gal-but that worked out well since they ended up being 2 extra males and not a pair-at first I thought they were females but on closer inspection they didn't have the black dorsal dot...*side note-the 2 other pairs in 2 different tanks-both have spawned-soon will be over ran with Florida flag fish....lol........anyway

I wanted to post a few pic of the Longfin albino pleco fry-this 55gal NPT is also the spawning tank for one of my breeding pair-
They really hard to get a good pic since they are nearly the same color of the sand.....lol.....they are not much bigger than the RCS (Red cherry shrimp) and the algae wafer....about 30 fry total-and I have already sold 20 of them......

Enjoy...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #83 
Boscobear

Today was egg day, for Easter, maybe huh. 3 different Angelfish laying eggs, but no males wanting the action. This makes for some unwanted aggression across the tank. Territories are staked out, and lip wresting on both ends of the tank. There might be a forth Angelfish wanting to lay eggs, she is cleaning a spot. There has to be something missing, the TDS is pretty low, could that stop the males instinctive reaction to fertilize the spawned eggs?
Boscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #84 
Oldfishlady

Sorry Boscobear, I am not yet experienced with Angelfish reproduction to be of much help, hopefully in about year I will be.....lol.....

A little update....

Angelfish are doing great and growing like crazy-being spoiled rotten on mass amounts of mosquito larva....lol.....

Pleco babies doing great

Flag fish-I just spotted some fry-only 3 but wow are they big-not sure when eggs laid, hatched....I did see some spawning behavior in both of the flag fish tank several weeks ago-but never seen any eggs-not that I could have since these tanks are mass planted....lol....
On a side note-the research stated that they love hair algae...not seeing that...lol.....I stopped removing the hair algae I get in the 25gal that gets full sun for 6h/day this time of year-for the Flag fish since that is what they are supposed to eat-a bit disappointed I must say....but a least I got fry....yeah...and I didn't have to do anything special....so....Flag fish are easy egg layers killifish IME...lol....but truthfully- one time and 3 fry- really should only count as Luck....
Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #85 
CaseyA

Oh my gosh, fishlady, I LOVE your tanks! It sounds so simple but I know I have to be missing something. Do you have a blog or a thread in which the process to create NPTs is detailed?
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #86 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyA View Post
Oh my gosh, fishlady, I LOVE your tanks! It sounds so simple but I know I have to be missing something. Do you have a blog or a thread in which the process to create NPTs is detailed?
Thank you......they are pretty simple as long as you start out with all the right stuff and most important the right type of lights to promote plant growth that keeps the water safe...

They do have their own set of problems until the soil is mature, alive-starting its life underwater and the plants actively growing.

Excluding the tanks themselves, filter and heater-it cost me about $20.00 to start a 55gal tank-this includes lights-bulb and light strips, plants, soil, sand, hardscape. They can be as expensive as you want or low cost....I go low cost since I am on a fixed budget.....lol....

The first part of this thread describes how I start one-but you can google natural planted tanks, Diana Walstad for more information-I use a lot of that info along with a twist of my own-here is a link-a pdf page from Walstad book to give a bit more info and idea.

http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #87 
Boscobear

I "had" a small experiment in the works. One with organic garden soil on the bottom, with a 1/2 inch of gravel on top, all in a 2 gallon glass jar. I had some nice plants growing for a few months, and then added 2 White Clouds, then a month later, two more. There was no heater, no filtration, just me changing 80% of the water every other day. It was an experiment of success in operation since before last Thanksgiving. Last week it went sour, I began to smell the hint of Hydrogen Sulfide odor. This is caused by the lack of oxygen into the soil. I removed the 4 white clouds this morning, thought I heard them applaud as I was placing them into a 20 gallon community tank, naa couldn't have been.
In a static environment like that, how can I invite oxygen? I know, air pump, I wanted no motor operation. It was OK for near 6 months, maybe it can't happen. The bottom becomes a cess pool, without oxygen there can be zero biofiltration type bacterial growth, just nasty anaerobic bacteria. Simple conclusion, need to push oxygen through the entire soil surface, from the bottom up. Still an experiment.
Congrats on the babies, lol Give them time, they will eat the algae. Some times it takes a while before some fish eat what you want them to eat.

The only thing that has bred for me, is in my 125 gal tank, with the Discus. Somehow the Nitrite snails have increased in population. I originally placed 6 in the tank, now there is around 15. Thought they would only lay live eggs in brackish water.
Boscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #88 
Oldfishlady

Trumpet snails are what I use to help prevent anaerobic soil-they burrow and help pull oxygen into the soil-also stem plants will help pull oxygen into the soil with their roots-this is why both stem plants and MTS are important for soil based systems.

How many and what species of plants did you use, any floating plants, how deep was the soil and cap, any large hard scape items sitting on top of the soil, lighting and photoperiod.

I don't use filtration in my tanks 10gal and less-I sometimes will use either a small HOB or sponge filter for the first month or so on the smaller tanks when I first set one up-But will be removed once I have active plant growth on the stem plants-usually by the second month the filter is removed.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #89 
Scienceluvr8

Thanks for the reply OFL! :) I do have a question. I read over the link that you provide from Diana Walstad concerning pet shrimp, and I was wondering if I could use that same technique but not with a glass bowl? I want some steps to follow to go about doing that in my 2.5 gallon Minibow. Thanks again!
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #90 
Oldfishlady

Smile

Update-

Angelfish are doing great

This is the male BN longfin albino with one of his babies

I have to trim weekly to keep the plants under control and remove the mass amounts of water lettuce and frogbit