Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #1 
Paigeyy

What Heater should i use in my fish tank?

I'm thinking of getting a new fish tank and putting a heater in it for my Bettas. I was wondering how do you know what kind of heater is good for the size of the tank?
Paigeyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #2 
Micho

First off what size is your tank?

I would recommend the Elite brand, they're great heaters. :]
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 
Paigeyy

I'm still undecided on the new tank size, at the moment the tank is 1 gallon. I'm looking at a 300W heater. What would that heat?

I was also wondering, if i want to put my two bettas in the same tank, what's the minimum size it would have to be? (one male one female, both not very aggressive)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #4 
Micho

Er, 300W would fry your tank. When I mean fry possibly boil the water in your tank. . . You could try the Elite Submersible Mini Heater 25w.

One gallon is hard to heat especially if it's a bowl. . I'm guessing since you're new here, male and female bettas cannot be housed together. NEVER, EVER, EVER. They might be "docile" at the start but sooner or later they will rip each other into shreds and you will end up with one dead betta and the other one will be badly beaten.

If you want to house them together in the same tank, you'll need to use a divider. A five gallon splitting it in half with a divider giving both sides 2.5 gallons would work just fine.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #5 
Paigeyy

Okay, i wasn't planning on using the heater in the small bowl, i wanted to know how big the tank it could heat would be?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
Micho

If you're not going to heat a bowl, please get a bigger tank for both of them so you can heat the water properly. Bettas are tropical fish, they need heaters in order to survive.

You could do the 5 gallons divided, or their own individual 5 gallons. It's up to you really.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #7 
Paigeyy

Yeah, i was thinking of using a divider cause that's what i wanted to do originally. They were a birthday present and came in a small tank, but i found them a bigger bowl. I'm trying to find a bigger one i can heat, that's why i need advice on heaters and tanks size =/
Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #8 
HatsuneMiku

generally you want 5watt per gallon

here's a heater review thread
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82735
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #9 
Paigeyy

OKay, i bought a 13 gal tank (with a divider) and a 100 or 150 w heater. Do i need a filter or something to move the water around to evenly heat the water? or will the heater do it fine on its own?
Old 10-30-2011, 07:59 AM   #10 
ollief9

You will definitely need a filter in that sized tank (100% water changes are difficult with 13 gallons). Not only does the filter move the water around, it houses beneficial bacteria which break down the fish waste meaning you have happier fish and you don't need to do as many water changes :)

The temperature is ideal at about 78-82 degrees. :)
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote