Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #1 
Super Sly

55g....

Ok guys so I might be getting a 55 gal tank from my oldest brother. I was wondering what i should put in it like rock, live/fake plants, type of filter, and lastly what kind of fish I know I've been wanting a sorority but I don't want to get too crazy lol. Also if i do set it up as a sorority/community tank what tankmates should i get for the girls? Any and all ideas will be appriciated.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:46 AM   #2 
Sakura8

If you set up a sorority, you could have 8-12 girls or more in there. 55g is big (lucky you). Then you'll probably want a midwater schooling fish like neon tetras. You could easily have a school of 15-20 and in that big of a school, they probably wouldn't bother the girls. Lastly, you could add 6-8 cory cats to the bottom for cleanup duty.

For a filter, get one that has an adjustable flow rate so the girls aren't blown around much by the current. Make sure you have tall plants so they can rest in them near the surface. A mix of live and fake is fine. If you do a sorority, you will need lots of plants and lots of hiding places like caves and overturned flowerpots with the hole in the bottom plugged up.

If you decide not to do a sorority, then we'll have to come up with a few more fish for a good community tank. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I just re-did my 55gal this weekend...NPT...Natural planted tank with soil substrate and pool filter sand cap and lots of live plants.......

It looks cloudy..but it isn't in person-just the camera and the glare of the lights-this is about 18h after setup....

Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #4 
Super Sly

@oldfishlady
Nice tank!

@sakura
I have taken som thought to dividing it in like 3 sections two 10s or maybe even a little more on the ends for my males and then the middle being the community tank.

@anyone :)
I was wondering what kind of live plants are easy to maintain (im new to plants) and would live in kinda low light conditions. Also what kind of substrate would I need? I'm totally new to live plants so....i dont want to get all these things and end up with a disaster a week after its done.
Also would guppys get nippy or do they mind themselves?
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:55 PM   #5 
pyro fiend

super almost any plant is easy to maintain in the water. cause you cant forget to wet them down [pun intended] but with a npt you will have to trim the plants a bit.. weeky biweekly or maybe sooner depends on the plant. [most r like weekly so it dont overgrow and expand too much] there are plenty of plants that go great personaly i would talk to ofl about any npt things. she helped alot of people and shes the one who made me think twice even 3 times about it.. im going to soon so im kinda in the same boat :P good luck sly ^.^

also gupys dont get nippy par say but any guppy will kill smaller things on the ground like shrimp. iv seen guppys try to take down a pleco like 6in long... sometimes they can be lil piranhas other times there perfect little angels :P fepends on the guppys u go tig

Last edited by pyro fiend; 10-31-2011 at 06:57 PM.
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 
bastage

AqAdvisor puts you at being able to have 39 betta females in a 55 gallon (& did aqueon quiet flow 55 as the filter). That would be more then enough to keep action in the tank.. I have 14 in my 20g tall & there are always fish at all levels (which I know 55g is taller & deeper) so I believe that there will always be fish at all levels doing there own thing.. & with that many betta girls you would have alot of different personalities & different color/tail combo's available.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:17 PM   #7 
Sakura8

39 girls. o.O But AQ Advisor goes by body length etc. It doesn't take into account territoriality. I would cap that at 20 girls max, just so each has space to claim territory.

SuperSly, dividing it and leaving the center part for the community sounds like a neat idea too. I like that idea.

OFL, your 55g looks awesome! I'm jealous.

Easy plants. Amazon Swords, Water Wisteria, Water Sprite, Moneywort, Pennywort, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss. They all have varying light needs though.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #8 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
39 girls. o.O But AQ Advisor goes by body length etc. It doesn't take into account territoriality. I would cap that at 20 girls max, just so each has space to claim territory.
I Think that would be a bad ideal.. If you give them each there own territory then there more likely to be territorial.. Keep them crammed in enough it forces interaction & as long as you get them young I think they will for the most part simply believe that that's how it is supposed to be. I have 14 in a 20g & they are constantly playing (pairs following each other around & limited nipping going on (not sure I have even seen any new nips on nay of the girls since I got them).
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Bastage, it could go either way, really. I know some people use overcrowding as a way to control aggressiveness in cichlids. In bettas, I don't know. On the one hand, they have no territory to claim but on the other hand, they are crowded and will nip each other a lot more. It's hard to say. And it also depends on the individual personalities of the bettas.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #10 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Bastage, it could go either way, really. I know some people use overcrowding as a way to control aggressiveness in cichlids. In bettas, I don't know. On the one hand, they have no territory to claim but on the other hand, they are crowded and will nip each other a lot more. It's hard to say. And it also depends on the individual personalities of the bettas.
It absolutely does. I imagine that it also has alot to do with the ages of the fish when introduced to the sorority.