Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #1 
erinandares

Exclamation I need some opinions.

I didn't know if I should post this under diseases and emergencies since it isn't an illness or a real emergency. But anyway-

Hey, all... So, I have a conundrum here. Ares recently made an epic jump into the bathtub. I say epic not in a good way, but in a "D***, FISH!" kind of way. That said, the other day, he started freaking out and hiding beneath his rocks. I was super worried, he was refusing food and he would just lie there at the surface of the water breathing heavily. But he still swam around if you approached him and tapped the glass or reached in to touch him (which I did because he looked dead...) So I wrapped his one gal bowl up with a towel to keep it dark and extra warm.

I left him alone all yesterday evening and last night, and I just went to check on him again after having added some water with oak leaf tannins in to his water hoping it would help calm him. So I was sitting here waiting for trick or treaters (where are these kids?? do they not want candy??) and I decided to check out his eye. It seemed like he was only seeing out of one eye, and I thought that maybe he smashed the other one when he jumped.

I poured him into the cup I bought him in and scooped him up so he was lying in my hand beneath the surface of the water so I could see his eye. He didn't even move, which is unusual, because he's usually freaking out and swimming around everywhere to avoid being handled. So I thus found out his left eye is all smashed up inside of his head and had been somehow pushed out of place.

Now it's very plain that he's uncomfortable, so I moved him into his cup with some diluted tannin water and extra conditioner and stress coat. My question is... what should I do? Do you think his eye is going to heal? He seems so sad. All he's doing is lying at the surface, and everytime he takes a breath a bubble forms so he has these tiny little bubble nests (although he isn't making them on purpose so it's sad to see them) forming wherever he sticks his face. Please give me some advice. I don't want him to slowly die and I don't want to euthanize unless it's necessary. Can he recover?
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 
brownmane

Sorry to hear about your poor little guy. Hopefully someone has some information for you. I have had bettas, but don't know a whole lot about doctoring injured fish.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

I'd give him some time to see if he heals up any, but in the end you have to make a decision on what is best for him since he cannot tell you. If he looks continually in pain and refuses to eat every time you offer (as well as remaining lethargic and listless) then maybe it's time to start looking into your options.

He might just need a few days to calm down and start healing or this could be something he doesn't recover from. the best you can do right now is give him a chance.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #4 
erinandares

Thanks. Me neither, Ares was my first betta, and he's normally got so much personality. It's so depressing seeing him like this. ):

Oh, sorry, missed your post, Pataflafla. It's been about three days like this. Even in his cup, he's just kind of sitting there. I suppose if he isn't doing any better by the end of the week or just before, it has to be time to do something.

Last edited by erinandares; 10-31-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #5 
Myates

Aww poor guy, he probably is in such pain.
I would imagine using an antibiotic like tetracycline and chloromycetin (chloramphenicol) added to the water in the QT tank to prevent the wound from becoming infected would be good. Other then that, doing daily 50% water changes in his tank/QT would be ideal as to keep it clean. Also making sure the water is warm, and him in a dim area.
I do hope he gets better.. all you can really do for him is keep him comfortable and clean.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #6 
erinandares

Thanks, Myates. well, I woke up this morning and he seems to be doing a lot better. He has his old spunk back, but I'm not putting him back in the tank just yet, I want to watch him and make sure he's really doing better. Unfortunately, he seems to be blind in that left eye. Not sure how to make life easier for him since he seems kind of freaked out by not being able to see out of that eye. Didn't someone here used to have a blind betta? Who was that so I can maybe send a PM? :3
Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 
tracyalexa

I am sorry to hear about ur guy. I have a one eyed betta but I don't know how he got that way. I purchased him this way, but he's very healthy otherwise. I would keep a close eye on ur guy and hopefully he heals but if his eye is squashed into his head, I don't know how that could heal.....?
tracyalexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

If he survives this, you may want to get larger substrate to make finding any sunken food easier. feeding time might change a little bit too as well as his exploring, but overall he has the capabilities to adapt to being half-blind or completely blind if need be.

You might need to wiggle his food to attract him to it.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #9 
erinandares

Yeah, I have to wiggle my finger around so he notices on the side he sees out of. Then he goes after it. It's probably mean to think this, but it's kinda cute when he tries to go for it and doesn't get it... It's just that he seems like a ravenous pirhana because he had been refusing food for a while. Lol.

I had these pebble sized rocks in there with him before. They range in size from about an inch to two and a half inches, but when he was freaking out bc of his eye he would burrow under them (I think because it was darker under there and he wasn't so confused) and when I went to clean everything out at his 100% water change, I found little bits of his tail stuck in there. I might try to do only one layer of them on the very bottom so he can't mess with it too much, but he can still scavenge for food as he seems to love doing.

Not sure how he's healing up, either, to be honest. I just know that for the past three or four days, he was looking like he was on death's doorstep, and today, he's coming back to how he was before. >.> Not that it was a magical overnight thing, but he is a lot better and I don't think he's going to die anymore. Now it's just a matter of making sure he's in the clear and doesn't get worse again and then helping him adapt to when he goes back in his old tank.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Depending on how the one layer thing goes, you might want to take out all of the substrate or switch to something like sand (Even though it seems to be a mess starting it up and you have to stir it occasionally).

Sometimes bare bottom is the way to go with vision impaired fish while they adjust. It just makes it harder to keep decorations from floating up to the top.