Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 
trumpet4life375

best way to transfer to tank?

hey guys, i just bought a brand new halfmoon today. he is gorgeous, ill post pics later :)))) but im acclimating him as we speak. whats the best way to put him into his tank? i dont want to damage his fins with a net..so should i just try to pour him in? im not exactly sure cuz iv never had a halfmoon and i dont want to damage his beautiful fins.
trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #2 
Myates

You could slowly pour out the water from his cup through the net and have him gently land in the net, then slowly lower him in the water. I wouldn't put the cup water into the tank without diluting it first though, as it may pollute it. If you've diluted the cup water while acclimating him to the chemistry, by taking water out of the cup and putting in tank water every so often, do a couple extra and pour out as much of the cup water as you can, until there is barely enough room for him, then empty it into the tank. That way there is less original cup water and more tank water going into the tank.

If what I said makes sense.. I'm a little out of it tonight, been a busy day/evening!

Last edited by Myates; 10-31-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 
trumpet4life375

okay thanks...ill try slowly doing the net. i havnt dilluted the water at all..and hes already floating in his cup so ill just do the net thing. thanks for the tip :) btw ill post pictures soon..im sooo happy with him. he is absolutely gorgeous. i havnt figured out a name yet though..i might ask people for some opinions :)
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Congrats on your new betta!
Make sure that you don't put any of the old water (the one in the cup from the petstore) in the new water, you'll just contaminate it.
It's not recomended you net bettas because you can damage their fins very easily.
You can pour him in the water after you've finished aclimating him to the new water and temperature by increments.
This might sound a bit cruel but I've been keeping/breeding bettas for a while and I'm extra careful with my bettas.
I will pour out as much water as possible from the cup I'm holding the betta in being careful not to pour out the fish and when just a little of water is left in the cup (along with the fish) I will slowly pour him/her in the tank.
This is better than scooping up the fish with your hands which I've hear people do because you're not damaging their slime coat.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 
kennymack007

I but the whole bowl mine came in into the tank.

I figure when I change the water I will wait for him to swim into his bowl again, and do the same thing.

EDIT: just read above post. Guess that is a bad idea because of contamination.
kennymack007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You could slowly pour out the water from his cup through the net and have him gently land in the net, then slowly lower him in the water. I wouldn't put the cup water into the tank without diluting it first though, as it may pollute it. If you've diluted the cup water while acclimating him to the chemistry, by taking water out of the cup and putting in tank water every so often, do a couple extra and pour out as much of the cup water as you can, until there is barely enough room for him, then empty it into the tank. That way there is less original cup water and more tank water going into the tank.

If what I said makes sense.. I'm a little out of it tonight, been a busy day/evening!
LOL! I type too slow
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #7 
trumpet4life375

thank you vilmarisv :) i will actually start taking out his old water and putting in new water now. so i should just put out as much old water and then spoon in the new water from his tank? and i will be sure not to let him get out of there...i can just see him though, i can tell he is getting stir crazy by being in his cup, he wants out!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #8 
Myates

Hehe no worries! That happens to me all the time.

Trumpet, it's best to always acclimate them to the chemistry of the tank, along with the temp. As they can just as easily, if not moreso, go into shock from the chemistry change as they can with temp change. Take out a bit of water from the cup, and add in some from the tank every 10 mins or so for 20-30 mins while acclimating to the temp. It's wise to do that every time you have to remove them from the tank for cleaning, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #9 
trumpet4life375

okay, well this is what im going to start doing then, thank you! :) hes just going crazy by being in his cup for so long...i can definatly tell!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #10 
trumpet4life375

he guys...he is seriuosly going crazy in his cup...when i go to get out some of his cup water he acts like he is going to jump out.