Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #1 
kennymack007

My fish won't eat.

Hi all, I'm new.

I just got a Betta from a wedding. They were used in decoration in bowls. This is our 3rd day with him.

I named him George Washington. I'm not sure how to measure correctly, but from mouth to butt, he is around 1 & 1/4 inches. His fins are all bunched up and very velvety looking, with a dark blue and red color. I held a mirror up to the tank today and he impressed us though. He stretched out his fins and displayed a beautiful bright blue and bright red, with a bright red beard thing too.

I have him in a 5.5 gal tank, 3/4 full, in case he jumps.
The bottom has rocks and stuff and the bowl he came in.
There is a 10 gal heater on the side. It is exposed to keep it at 78, but the thermomiter is reading 75.

I picked up TetraBetta pellets from walmart. I fed him twice yesterday and it took him like 10 minutes to eat. I figured it is just because he is still getting used to things.

I just gave him some food about a half hour ago. He was hangin in his underwater bowl, when I dropped the pellets in he came up right away, sucked a pellet in, then spit it out. Every time I touch the water he will come over and suck one in, then spit it out into mush. Now he is just sitting in the corner with his head behind the heater.

Is he sick? Or is he just being a picky prick?

Last edited by kennymack007; 10-31-2011 at 08:25 PM.
kennymack007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:26 PM   #2 
kennymack007

well, it has been about an hour now, the pellets have sunk to the bottom now, and he is still hanging out behind the heater like I'm an @$$hole or something for feeding him betta pellets.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #3 
Myates

Welcome, and glad you were able to bring him home!

He may be being picky, I would give him a little more time to adjust. Sometimes they can take up to a week before eating like the little piggies they are.
If you are worried, you could try the garlic juice trick:
Dice up fresh garlic cloves on a plate (only need a little), and drop a few drops of water on the mush, swish it around and then add in a couple pellets in the mix (2-3 pellets per meal). After about 10 seconds take out the pellets and drop them in the tank. Garlic usually will stimulate hunger for them so it should work - but sometimes it doesn't. If that's the case, then it looks as if you will have to try to wait him out and continue trying the pellets. Cut them in half if you can as well, sometimes if they are bigger, it is harder for them to swallow and some bettas may not try again.
If after a week or so and he is still not taking them, then I would try some betta specific flakes, or freeze dried blood worms (pre soak the blood worms in tank water before feeding as they expand in water and could cause bloating) to see if he prefers those. But even if he does prefers those, always try to get him to eat pellets as they are the best staple food for bettas that are manufactured.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #4 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennymack007 View Post
well, it has been about an hour now, the pellets have sunk to the bottom now, and he is still hanging out behind the heater like I'm an @$$hole or something for feeding him betta pellets.
lol yeah they can be picky and snub us sometimes.

Try to remove the pellets so they don't foul up the water.

I also forgot to mention above as an alternative: Frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc is also a good source of food that most will gobble up like crazy.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 
kennymack007

I tried the garlic thing with 3 pellets. He sucked them in and then spit them out.

On the third one he kept sucking it in and spitting it out like 6 times until it was all mush and fell apart.

He is not being sluggish or anything... and he ate them yesterday.

I don't know what he doesn't like about them today. O well, My garlic toast is done.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #6 
Myates

LOL @ the garlic toast

Try cutting them in half, albeit sometimes not easy, but it may help him out some. When they spit food out, then back in, that is their way of trying to chew/break down pieces a little too big for them.