Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Question Missing Scale?

So tonight while feeding I noticed that one of my boys Fred has a mark on his head. and after staring at it with my eye practically on the glass it looks like there is a scale missing on his head because the mark is almost indented, its not raised and doesnt match the ways his scales are, and you can see the mark is right where a scale should be in the pattern. How do I go about treating this?? I can try to post pictures but that will have to be done in the morning. And please let me know if this is something that I need to fill out the sticky for.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi MaggieLynn, if it is truly a missing scale, you have nothing to worry about. He probably bumped into something and lost the scale. Nothing needs to be done to treat this as his scale will grow back. Just be sure that his tank water is clean but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't turn into a sore. Look around his tank to see if there is anything protruding and "sharpish" that may have cause this. If you are really concerned still, photos are always helpful to rule out other potential problems.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

I tried getting a picture but its hard lol, it also looks like his bottom lip might be alil swollen but he always has had huge lips. he is perfectly fine otherwise. I thought it was a sore at first but after practically sticking my eye in the water im pretty sure it is a missing scale because it there is no scale and it matches the pattern his scales makes. is there any way I could speed the healing process?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #4 
earthworm88

I hear ya...some are easier to take photos of and some just aren't. Hehe...I do the same thing too, in fact, I have a huge magnifier to "study" my bettas with as my naked eyes just aren't good enough. There really isn't anything to hasten the growth but clean water and good varied diet.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

Thanks! It already looks like its healing. Im going to be doing a 100% water change tonight to make sure the water is extra clean and there is algea that has decided to pollute the tank