Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 AM   #21 
Bombalurina

I think that's the most important thing about stocking with bettas - each betta (and each owner) is different, and different things are going to work for different people. I belong to another forum that basically advises people NEVER to try bettas in community tanks, but I believe that many bettas do actually make good community fish. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #22 
laughing

I think everyone has their own belief, and that's perfectly alright. So I agree with you on that statement!

I love snails and bettas... my girl just saw snails for the first time a few weeks back and tried to eat 3 She spat them out, but as they fell you could see, OH FOOD light snap back on again and make another attempt. Then she followed them around everywhere... It really is 'fool proof' and keeps them more entertained!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #23 
Echo

snails.. yyyeeecchh!! i had a few hitch a ride in on some driftwood i got for mah shrimps tank.. nasty little things all they did was tear up my plants and poop everywhere. i gave 'em a one way ticket to meet the porcelain gods.
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #24 
copperarabian

Thought I should add some :D

African Butterfly Fish(AFB)
Top dwelling fish that is generally peaceful. Can jump extremely well and needs a secure hood. Some bettas may try nipping at their big pectoral fins or long stringy pelvic fins, I haven't had any problems in my sorority though.
If you have a gourami's they are territorial of the surface and might attack the AFB. I avoid this by keeping my aquarium heavily planted, giving all my fish a ton of places to escape. some plants left floating will help to keep the AFB from jumping because they have a safe place to run to instead of feeling their only option is to jump.

Unless it's from a really good LFS the AFB will probably only eat crickets. you can condition the fish to eat out of your hand and then they will take just about anything from you. I have mine on pellets, flakes, freeze dried, and the occasional bug I catch.

Caution if you have very small bettas the AFB may try to eat them. I have no problem with mine, and it would be hard for a AFB to actually eat a fish because they're designed to eat off the surface, but it could happen if given the chance over and over that it will finally catch it. they are extremely fast when they strike.

Last edited by copperarabian; 11-03-2011 at 12:41 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #25 
laughing

Would you mind elaborating on tank size and such, Copper?

Snails are awesome if you get the RIGHT snail(s). I had a huge infestation of these snails and they were pooping machines and reproduced like crazy. Made me so mad. But my Assassin snail is totally harmless to my plants, doesn't reproduce (because you keep one), and has a smaller bioload. I also really enjoy Nerite snails. Won't reproduce, don't eat your plants, and don't poop nearly as much as other snails!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

How about a butterfly shrimp? I saw one of the big guys, but have no idea about them o_O obviously not small enough to become chow

I've had one betta successfully with zero problems with short fin leopard danios, guppies (male and female), tetra, snails, platy, baby fish from platy and balloon mollies... But then again he was raised only by me, since he was 6 months and he is 2.5

I have kept danios successfully with that one betta, but they had a large group, it was a decent sized tank with lots of plants. The betta never mind and the danios learned that feeding time it was HIM first I've gotten my friend to take back her two danios, as one already nipped Spartan's pectoral fin (I had them while her tank was cycling), and I am certain it is because there were only two.. But her having my Crayola who has super long fins - it was out of the question.

Always depends on the tank size too.. I have seen and heard of people squeezing a betta in a 10 gallon with about 10 guppies... Also on what kind of betta your betta is I sure couldn't stick a snail in with some of my males, like Sasuke, Nemphis or Ghengis. But anyone else? sure.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM   #27 
Echo

i've tried otos (four) with my Roxie.. bad thing was their "herd" mentality. she looks very similar in size and coloring, so they tried to school with her. they lasted less than a day
Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #28 
HatsuneMiku

i think it's because octo's need odd numbers .. or i read that somewhere .. they probably thought ur roxie was their leader =D
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

My danios tried schooling with one betta xD and I had guppies accept my Spartan as their "giant guppy leader"
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #30 
HatsuneMiku

lololol !! guppy leader !! hehe that sounds really cute !! i wonder if ur betta's like .. stop following me .. stop following me .. why are you following me .. lol
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote