Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

10g .. 1 betta .. half planted .. a lego pirate ship .. and ..

i'm setting up my 10g (waiting for cycle to finish before putting any life in there) .. half planted (gravel in the back half where all my plants will be) sand in the front .. the black pearl lego set in the water (with all the pointy stuff removed) .. 2 marimo balls .. 1 betta

so .. can i add 2 African dwarf frogs? and 3 octos? and 1 apple snail will they all get along ?

or is this too much?
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I think that would overstock you. I get the impression that a betta and two ADFs makes a ten gallon fully stocked.
Otos are also a hit and miss in a ten gallon because of their extreme sensitivity. If you've got them settled in a larger tank they may well cope with the move excellently, but putting them straight into a ten gallon can be tricky.

Of course, in saying this, I am being a massive hypocrite because I am the queen of overstocking.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

yea i know octo's are sensitive .. and are suppose to be in odd number groups in 3+ .. 5 is suppose to be ideal .. but that might be way overstock for me ..

i haven't gotten the afd or the octo's yet .. just still throwing around my options ..

i haven't even found any info's yet that octo's and afd's will get along @_@ ..
Old 11-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

I can't see why they wouldn't. Neither are even remotely aggressive, and the otos are so nondescript in colouration that there's a good chance the frogs won't even notice them. And they don't compete for food. Also, otos are nimble little things, so if the frogs bother them they'll get out of the way quick-smart, and are so peaceful they won't bother the frogs. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

=D yay maybe i can get both !! .. do the afd's need like a cave or tube thing ? and i read somewhere that frogs don't do so well in sand cus they eat it ?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

I'd say thats okay. I don't know much about Otos, but I (will) have an ADF and my Betta in a 3 gallon. Ask GizmoTheFreaky. She is an expert on ADFs.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

You should be fine with 1 ADF and 1 Betta in 5 gallons or 2 ADF and 1 Betta in 10 gallons. But I would leave out the Otos since it may over tax your filter. The frogs would need hiding spots but I don't know about pvp pipe. I tihnk as long as they have at least one cave to hide in they should be fine. But you may need more than one cave just incase your Betta wants to claim the cave as his territory. 10 gallons whould give you enough room for 2 or 3 hiding spots.

I've heard horror stories about every type of substrate.

Sand can be passed through if it's swallowed in small amounts while eating. But it does become a problem if the frog eats too much of the sand. I can't find out why a frog would eat enough sand to clog his/her digestive system. So, I'm taking this "death by sand" scenerio with a grain of salt.

Gravel that is small enough to swallow but too big to digest can cause a intestinal blockage and lead to an untimely death. Unfortunately, I haven't found any info on the actual size of said gravel. The people who warn against "Not too big but not too small" gravel need to look at their bag of substrate and give me an actual coarseness rating. Considering how many pictures of ADFs on gravel are online, I'm wondering if this size is the culprate. But I'm not sure yet. T_T

I've also heard of frogs being trapped under large rocks and drowning when they can't make it to the surface. So I can't go supper big to avoid the "death by gravel" scenerio because they will swim/crawl under a big river rock and become a pancake or get a limb stick.

Therefore, I'm eventually going to have 3 ADF in a 10 gallon together with sand substrate when I have the money. My bettas have had sand substrate for a few months now without dying so I will assume my frogs won't get bored enough to eat sand instead of food. But after the little bit of research I've done for ADFs, it seems like they can find ways to bump themselves off. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote