Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #1 
Behati

Betta burying itself in rocks?

I'm not sure if this is normal but my betta is literally digging itself into a hole and I'm not sure if it's hurting itself because those rocks are pretty heavy even for me. Here's a picture:

Is this normal behavior?
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #2 
TheKingsFish

I've had a couple of bettas do this, and for the first couple of times it perplexed me. The problem only went away when I gave them somewhere to hide: live plants or small cave-like structures work best. One of my males still buried himself until I put a small towel over his jar to reduce the light so that he might feel a little safer. Hopefully this helps.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
TheKingsFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

yea he definitely needs some places to hide. get him a little something, if yer short on cash get a cave first then get plants later, the cave will give him more "protection" unless u get really big heavy leaves that offer lots of places to hide. but get both asap.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

For the budget conscious: a coffee mug or even a clean styrofoam cup stolen from a workplace water cooler and weighted down with pebbles.
You might get some odd looks running off with a cup, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #5 
Myates

Yup I have to concur- he needs more items in his tank. Bettas love medium to heavily planted tanks, and from my experience males love caves (my females could care less for them, but my boys love to sleep in them). They need to feel secure, and once he does he will become lively and very active, coloring up.
I would spread those rocks out as well after you get your plants/cave as if he gets stuck under them he could easily drown.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #6 
vilmarisv

I second the previous post...
I had large pebbles in one of my first betta tanks (loong time ago) and my betta managed to get stuck under the pebbles and drowned.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #7 
Myates

Yup, why one of my guys has bare bottom because he will bury himself under everything. He will push himself between objects and the substrate if he couldn't get under the substrate itself. He's a little neurotic I think o.O lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 
Behati

I had the rocks flat but he still tried. He's pretty strong moving those nuggets. I already ordered a cave and some more rocks but they're not due to come in for another week. I just hope he's not hurting himself doing that. He's a tiny guy too, about 1.5in.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #9 
Behati

I also just wanted to double check that it wasn't a sign of something abnormal, else I can return him still. I flattened out the rocks and just made cracks he could hide in. It seems to take a lot out of him to be moving those rocks by diving in head first.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #10 
missm83

i had the same problem with my boy... i went and got sand and the problem was fixed... goodluck!
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote