Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 
jbadgley61580

Power outage and reintroducting my Betta to his tank

Hi everyone - during the snowstorm that hit the Northeast on Saturday, I lost power. This happened at about 12pm on Sunday. My Betta, Toothless, lives in a heated and filtered Fluval Edge along with Java Moss and a piece of Malaysian driftwood. After it became apparent that the power was not coming back on and the temperature in the house kept dropping, I removed my little guy from his tank and put him in his emergency tank along with some of his moss and an Indian Almond Leaf. I then drove him to my parent's who currently have power. I am keeping his emergency tank warm by placing a couple of Thermacare wraps around the edges for a little while at a time and keeping the heat up in the room that he is in. His water temp is back up around 78 degrees. He seems to be doing just fine (eating, swimming around etc).

My question is how to I reintroduce him to his Fluval Edge once the power comes back on? I am estimated to be out until at least tomorrow at 10pm. I probably won't be getting back to my house until Thursday evening at some point. I'm concerned about the water quality at this point. It is really cold in my house (around 50 degrees) so I am not sure if algae and bacteria should be of concern. Any pointers at bringing my tank back up and running (including how much water I should change) would be extremely helpful.

Thank you all for your help!
jbadgley61580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #2 
1983SS454

I'm having this same problem, except mine went out Saturday afternoon and still not up. I was going to chana bunch of water and let it run for 24 hours before replacing them in the tanks. I lost all my tetras already and my Betta's are in tanks, cups, and vases in my parents heating living room across town..... I've heard you should take off the filter and drain the nasty water out of that as well ... My fish are not at 8 degree, but probably 70 and making it, I'm going go get my tanks heat to match theirs and then slowly bring it up to temp over a period of time
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:22 AM   #3 
jbadgley61580

Sorry that you are going through the same thing and that you lost your tetras :( thank you for the tips on what you are going to try...I will definitely let you know if I find further information. Hope that your power comes back on soon!
jbadgley61580 is offline   Reply With Quote