Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 
emeraldsky

Bought Over Half Of My Sorority Last Night!

Yep, I called all 4 of the pet stores in my area and only one place had betta females. They said they had 10, but I was still expecting drab, similar girls that were ungodly unhealthy.

BUT NO
This store was AMAZING for bettas.

When I walked in, 90% of the bowls were this horrid icky yellow color and I made a face which I guess the fish guy saw (I almost had a rant thread where I told people at the pet store off :P) and said they used something called BettaSpa(?) to release tannins and relax everyone. As I looked closer, the water was actually clean. He was very knowledgeable, and told me he kept bettas himself, and was able to answer every question I had correctly and very informatively. He even told me that it was likely all my girls were sisters, though he wasnt 100% sure. Everything was healthy, not just the bettas and I was overall very impressed. This will be my new lps of choice ^^

They did have dragons for only 7$ opposed to petsmarts 20$ though and had an AMAZING copper one. I had to leave without him, me setting up another tank would be all bad :P

Now for my halloween girls:
(If you could help my identify tail type, Id really appreciate it!)

First off-
Name:  Green1.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  28.4 KBName:  Green2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  30.0 KB
Shes a bright green, though still a bit dingy from stress. My camera phone hates green apparently so she looks red/blue a lot. She's very apathetic and pretty much just showed her tail to the other girls who were trying to be in charge.

Next-
Name:  Orange1.jpg
Size:  18.8 KBName:  Orange2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  23.2 KB
Oh maaaaaaan, shes the most adorable little peachy colored thing ever. I thought she was going to be the sweet little demure thing, but when I set her next to some of the other girls she was flaring up a storm and letting them know who was boss LOL. Shes one of the smaller ones, but I think shell be in running for the alpha. (She's also not that fat, I had her in a small round bowl for pictures and she wouldnt cooperate at all >:C)

And then-
Name:  Purple1.jpg
Size:  30.4 KBName:  Purple2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  31.5 KB
At first I wasnt going to get her, she looked like she was a dull red in the cup at the store but she puppy dog eyed me and I couldnt say no :C
When I put her in some fresh water she colored almost instantly into a really pretty purple. Also, all the other girls had stress stripes when I took them out, she had breeding bars LOL

Lastly-
Name:  Red1.jpg
Size:  28.3 KBName:  Red2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  33.5 KB
Obligatory red girl :P
She seems a bit dominant too and is the other girl I think might turn out to be the alpha. She has some amazing green iridescence on her tail and peppered in her scales.

And my other special purchase:
Name:  Snail.jpg
Size:  22.3 KB
Killamonster the assassin snail! This place is the only place within an hours drive to carry something OTHER than mystery snails. He'll be plopped in with the girls.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #2 
mjoy79

Wow they're all so gorgeous! Great finds! I love the first VT especially
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #3 
emeraldsky

Thank you!

Me too, though the peach one is becoming my favorite X3

I cant wait to get the green one in the tank though so I can see her true colors ^^
Old 11-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4 
laughing

You'll have to feed your Assassin Snail regularly, I hope you know that.. They eat other snails so you will have to buy snails and continually put them in the tank then fish out their empty shells. They'll also eat small animals at the bottom such as shrimp if they're hungry enough... You don't just "plop" them in!

Very pretty girls... the first looks like male fins, but her body is so feminine... I like her! She looks to be a mix of VT/CT so I'd call her a Spade tail.. Same for 3 and 4. 2 I'm not quite sure. I'm terrible with females!

Lucky finds!! Congrats!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

yes, i know that.

Im doing a lot of research on them, theyll eat any high protein food which would include leftover betta pellets ;) Im planning on getting some sinking pellets so they can get food before the girls pig out XD

I planing having a ton of shrimp as well so if they dont like the pellets they can go after them or even the guppy fry should they be able to catch them X3

I made sure she was a female since I thought that at first too XD
I had a hunch they were spades which is interesting, theyre the first ones I've ever seen over here, male or female o.o
Old 11-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #6 
pieleld

#2 and 3 both look like Spade Tail Bettas. I'm about 90% sure they are. Around here I have only seen one. Very lucky. I wish I could get my hands one one. Good luck with your sorority!
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #7 
emeraldsky

From looking at them closer, it seems that all of them except for the peach girl are spades. Im not sure what the peach is X)

Im so excited to have found them 8D
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36 PM   #8 
emeraldsky

@laughing

Thanks for posting that bit on the assassin snails, I looked up some more info in depth and while it looks like they can survive on high protein food, its not something they can thrive on. So rather than have an unhappy snail, I'll be returning him later tonight ^^

Instead, I'm looking into getting some khuli loaches since they seem to be more suited to my tank. I'm doing even more research this time though XD

Tags
assassin snail, sorority