Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 
Hikari

glass beads for decorations?

Is there a difference between the glass beads sold at pet stores as aquarium beads and the craft ones? I want to put these glass gems on the bottom of my 5 gallon tank because my fish keeps cutting his fins on the gravel. There was only one small bag of them at the pet store, and the employee told me I could buy the craft ones, like the ones used in vases, at the dollar store in larger quantities. They look very much the same as the ones at the pet store, but are they safe to use for fish tanks? This is what they look like: http://www.mosaicartsupply.com/Produ...rble_clear.jpg
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #2 
sanderle

I'm pretty sure there's no difference. I've used glass beads from the craft store in tanks before and they work just fine. I'd just make sure you wash them really well before adding them in, though.
sanderle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #3 
Hikari

Thanks. I'll make sure to rinse them off first. Would soaking them in hot water for a few minutes be good enough to disinfect them?
Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #4 
bastage

The only difference is Marketing.. its colored glass reguardless (or celar)..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote