Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #1 
ShyDog

Why bother?

Disclaimer: In no way am I trying to start a flame war, angry discussion ect.

So, it's common know. that breeders keep bettas in smaller containers with no substrate/plant/decoration and all the other things that has come to be expected from betta owners.

Why does that suddenly change when we as pet owners pick them up? I mean, bettas of show quality are perfectly healthy in some of what people would consider "horrible" conditions, and i'm just wondering where's the difference. Are you a bad person because you keep a betta in a small bowl? and then magically become a good person for doing the same thing with hundreds of betta?

Just food for the thought, I love my set ups to death my girls and guys are happy and I wouldn't change it.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

...Okay... Thats nice.

*Doesn't know how to respond*
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #3 
ShyDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
...Okay... Thats nice.

*Doesn't know how to respond*
I'm not meaning to start any type of argument, just generally want to know. I mean most of the sellers on AB don't keep to the 2.5 gallon minimum rule. Is it knowing how to keep your fish healthy that makes it alright? I'm just wondering
Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #4 
bastage

its called a double standard..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #5 
vaygirl

In my case, I like to try and recreate a natural environment for my fish. Live plants, engaging decor, live critters to follow around (snails). They are show fish for some people, decor for others. For me, their fish. And, to me, fish belong in a living, natural environment. Or as close to it as I can get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvt3ydPj0XA
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

It is that most people don't have the time or desire to keep the water in tiny containers clean. Breeders do. They often spend thousands on their fish and set ups, they have a huge investment in healthy fish. Small tanks are hard to heat, but breeders devote a whole room to those things and can just heat the whole room.

Many breeders add tannins or float an anacharis in the cups/bowls to make the fish more comfortable.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

The things I can think of is like this.... The average pet owner has not had the experience of caring for 100s of bettas. A breeder or someone who owns many many bettas sees illnesses more often and is able to learn signs faster than the average pet owner. Generally a breeder is also more guaranteed to do water changes often enough because bettas not only are their passion, but their business. Losing bettas means losing money, and while they aren't just out for money, it is a big deal. A kid in middle or high school has so much drama and other passions that we can often forget to change water. In a container so small, that just can't happen. The five gallons gives us the extra buffer time before things get bad. If you keep a betta in a small container.. You must have a set schedule and you must follow it right!

Another thing is it's how we wish to care for them. Fish do love to play in plants. Doesn't mean they are necessary. The plants also look nice AND keep the water clean, making it easier on us. :) You could also keep a betta in a tub. It gives them privacy and is cheap and easy to have multiples of. But then you can't see them. Which to be honest, is at least partially why we get them :)

Same is true in the reptile world to be honest. I know I make this comparison a lot, but it's true.

These are gecko breeder racks. Every single leopard gecko is properly housed, given the proper heat, enough space, water, food, and they are all healthy and happy. It is bare minimum. They don't have hides, decor, plants, and they really could use more space if taken as pets.

Here's a pet owner's leopard gecko set up. The gecko is properly housed..given great heat and humidity...given a hide since there is so much space, and there is a ton of room to explore.

That same gecko in the tank could do just as well in the breeder set up. But one issue is the 'out of sight out of mind'... A pet that we can't see is often a pet we forget. If you aren't as dedicated as many breeders are, mistakes happen, you forget to feed, your animal suffers. A tiny cage could mean one hot day KILLS your gecko, as they are trapped. In a big cage, if your heat pad overheats, the gecko can run to the cooler end of the cage, so if you don't catch the error, your gecko still lives. Just the whole room for error thing.

Most of the reasons we say they need big tanks is because they need heat and most heating for small tanks is unreliable. If you provide heat, the size isn't as important. YES, they love to swim. I'd never put a plakat in a 1g, because I know how much mine loves to zip around. I have seen perfectly happy halfmoons in 1gs though!

I think a pet owner could keep a betta in a more simple setup. If they do good water changes, provide heat, and make sure the betta is healthy..than go for it. If you have enough experience with bettas you can see "this one is stressed", so you can give it a place to hide. You can see a fish who needs more exercise. That could mean flaring more often, or giving them a larger tank to swim in. If you don't know your fish as well, you might mistake a sick betta for a chilled out one. In a small tank, that will mean a much more likely death.

Big tanks=easier for few fish
Small tanks=easier for many many fish!

But it's up to you I think. you are the only one who knows your animals. If you see that something isn't working, change something. If you want to keep your fish in 1g containers but they simply aren't happy in them.. Put them in a larger tank. If they are fine, then feel free. You know your fish, and you know when they are happy and healthy.

I see clean, warm water in these barracks. It is simple, yes. But I don't think the fish are unhealthy.

And I see a warm, clean tank here with a healthy betta.

I think the health of the fish is what counts the most!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #8 
ShyDog

Your tank is absolutely beautiful vaygirl, and both of you thank you for shedding some light on the matter. It's just confusing for me I guess, my fish mean alot to me even the girls who I just got, they have distinct personalities and I wouldn't want to change their set up for anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
In my case, I like to try and recreate a natural environment for my fish. Live plants, engaging decor, live critters to follow around (snails). They are show fish for some people, decor for others. For me, their fish. And, to me, fish belong in a living, natural environment. Or as close to it as I can get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvt3ydPj0XA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
It is that most people don't have the time or desire to keep the water in tiny containers clean. Breeders do. They often spend thousands on their fish and set ups, they have a huge investment in healthy fish. Small tanks are hard to heat, but breeders devote a whole room to those things and can just heat the whole room.

Many breeders add tannins or float an anacharis in the cups/bowls to make the fish more comfortable.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #9 
ShyDog

@purplemuffin

Thank you for your long and helpful feedback, I appreciate it. I have three set ups a 10 gal sorority, a heated 2 gall and my unheated 1 gal (room temp keeps it at 76 or so) all my fish seem to be happy, and no signs of illness ect. My main inquiry was just does it make me a bad owner for not having 10 gallon tanks for each of them, when I see and read about people having much less, in larger numbers. you put my mind at rest thankyou
Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

I don't think so. We kept red beard in a fairly simple set up simply because he always struggled after he had to go through being one of those school test subjects "lets see if we can make a 1 gallon tank a working environment. No water changes or food for a month!" type things. He was spunky and happy through the rest of his days. He needed a lot of water changes after he had pretty bad fin rot in the little 1 gallon jar so it was just easier to keep him in a small tub. We did end up giving him some plants as he got older as he would rest on them near the surface, but he never really was strong enough to swim in a big five gallon tank.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote