Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #11 
trilobite

There is no cruelty unless the fish cant move, has cold water and blatently suffering from illness. If the fish is healthy and warm it is safe to assume we are taking good care of our fish.
I think its arrogant to say "your doin it wrong" when there is no problem with the fishes health. Sure, one can buy a healthy fish, but keeping it healthy is the hardest thing and if you can manage that then there really isnt anything wrong with how you keep your fish.

So to keep your fish healthy, simply give it costantly warm water and keep it clean.
Every fish enjoys a larger tank, not just bettas. It just becomes impracical to give a school of 10 neons a large 500 litre tank for themselves...they would love it to bits though....actually it would look kind of cool to have a huge tank filled with a school of neons....anyways yeah!
I'm not going to get into a big debate about the ethics of fish keeping because I cant be bothered and I'm meant to be studying....I love procrastinating! but at the end of the day, there are so many systems employed to keep bettas, just like dog training, horse riding, car driving...so many ways to do the same thing. There is no one correct way.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #12 
ShyDog

I am not trying to say that anyone who keeps fish like that is a bad person, instead what actually makes those set ups ok. There are people who swear by 2.5 gallons minimum, and I'm just inquiring into the different types of fish keeping not pointing fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
There is no cruelty unless the fish cant move, has cold water and blatently suffering from illness. If the fish is healthy and warm it is safe to assume we are taking good care of our fish.
I think its arrogant to say "your doin it wrong" when there is no problem with the fishes health. Sure, one can buy a healthy fish, but keeping it healthy is the hardest thing and if you can manage that then there really isnt anything wrong with how you keep your fish.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #13 
trilobite

Oh dont worry, I wasnt meaning anyone in particular. "I think its arrogant to say "your doin it wrong" when there is no problem with the fishes health" it was kind of like a broad, general statement
And when I said "we are taking good care...etc" I meant 'we' as in anyone whos fish are warm and clean..haha it made sense when I was typing it, guess I should have re-read it before I clicked submit
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #14 
ShyDog

No worries! :) just making sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Oh dont worry, I wasnt meaning anyone in particular. "I think its arrogant to say "your doin it wrong" when there is no problem with the fishes health" it was kind of like a broad, general statement
And when I said "we are taking good care...etc" I meant 'we' as in anyone whos fish are warm and clean..haha it made sense when I was typing it, guess I should have re-read it before I clicked submit
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

I personally don't see a problem with the barracks set-up for a bettas-as-pets owner as long as all the fish are happy, have room to swim (physical stimulation), have clean, heated water and something to entertain them (mental stimulation). Even just a little plant, like potted pennywort, provides some sort of 'toy' to break up the area. However, I do think this set-up with billions of bettas negates the point of having them as pets, but each to their own.
I don't have a problem with pet bettas in one gallon tanks as long as they have warm, clean water and are being properly cared for. :) Obviously some bettas do best in these smaller spaces, whilst others won't be happy in less than 5 gallons (the little divas).

Personally, when I try breeding, it would be my dream to be able to provide a bare minimum of 1 gallon to all my fry, potentially more, which I may well be able to do as mine will be a small-scale set-up. :) I also find larger tanks easier to care for and more forgiving of mistakes.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #16 
Kytkattin

And my roommates fish is a perfect example of why people think bettas can be kept in tiny, unheated tanks. Somehow the poor beast still builds bubble nests and flares happily when you go up to him despite being in less than half a gallon and with a tank that was cleaned about 3 days ago, but that was by me, and it hadn't been done for 2 weeks before I finally gave in.

And who knows how that goldfish lives in 1 gallon and a tank that is cleaned just as infrequently. The smell of that tank when I cleaned it... No human should have to smell it, but imagine living in it? Urgh.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #17 
vaygirl

Thanks Shy! I work really hard on my tanks. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

My 3 gallon tanks are bare-bottom and have a piece of PVC pipe, java moss and a piece of wood for decorations. This is because I clean them out every second day and it is a lot less more work this way.

None of my bettas have ever show any signs of being unhappy in these set-ups. They have a tunnel to hide in and neighbours to flare at. I provide heated, clean water and enough space for them to comfortably move about.

While my tanks might seem a bit Spartan to some, as long as my bettas are all happy and healthy, I don't mind what other people think. Honestly, some people on this forum are the worst at throwing stones from their glass houses.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #19 
Bambi

I love betta barrecks as well, they wouldn't replace the tanks i have around my room,but i'd love to have one set up for 'jarring' fry from spawns.

as for why it's ok for the small tanks:

the water is kept heated and filtered and clean wish is what a betta needs. when set up as so it's fine. but it's different then having cold, scattered one gallon tanks that aren't cycled or filtered or what-have-you.

I suggest heaters more for their consistency then for their heat. temp fluctuations between night and day hurt a bettas immune system more then just being constantly on the slightly cold side. bettas do need to be warm though,don't get me wrong xD

None of my smaller tanks are in use as of right now, but they were up until recently and will be again when i get more fish. As they sit in a cold store, in a dirty cup, i'd rather them be at home with me in a clean 2 gallon critter keeper untill i can upgrade them, in a warm room with plenty of food.

Back to the barracks, as had been said before it's really a breeder thing because they have so many fish they have to care for. anyway, i have a cold and it's 3am here, sorry if i'm making NO sense xD
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #20 
Tikibirds

Quote:
There are people who swear by 2.5 gallons minimum,
I would like to know where the scientific research is behind this claim or did someone at some point in the past decided on this and people just stuck with it. I had a guy that was in horrible shape, missing fins, no color, ammonia burns and fin rot. He came from walmart and I got a 1 gallon triangle shaped tank set up for $11. I wasnt gonna pay more since I wasnt sure he was gonna live. Well not only did he live, but he totally recovered in that tiny 1 gallon. Eventually he got upgraded to a 5 gallon with a heater.

My point is, if small tanks are so horrible, then why did he recover?

Personally, I like to give them at least 3 gallons, more room for them to swim and more room for decorations and a heater.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote