Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #1 
HatsuneMiku

what is this red tips?

yuki .. my chronic sbd boy .. just got these red tips on his fins ..

i duno what it is .. it's not black like how fin rot looks (i can recognize this cus my goldfish get it once in a while when the weather gets hot) ..

it's not nipped like fin biting (i can recognize this because mystique is my chronic tail biter so i know what it looks like)

i'ts not from any decor ... because he's in a 2.5g bare bottom tank with 1 glass upside down tea light cave that's smoother then a baby's behind .. not filtered so he's not caught in anything .. 1 moss ball ... can't be that .. his tank is at 80 .. i duno what it could be ..

here's a picture sorrie it's very grainy .. cell phone =D
Attached Images

HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

It might be fin rot since that can be displayed by red or black edging. I'd say just keep the water extra clean and watch it closely.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #3 
HatsuneMiku

do i gotta aq salt? or just clean water is ok ?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #4 
Myates

Unsure if it is rot since I believe you clean out your tanks properly.. to me it looks as if he chewed on them and they got a tiny bit bloody. So I'd do as mentioned above and just stick with clean water. Maybe upping the % a little more during your regular water changes should help until it is healed.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 
HatsuneMiku

it does look a lot like a blood red color .. though i duno how he got to bitting his bottom fins @_@ ..
Old 11-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Bettas are surprisingly flexible when they're determined to bite their fins. I've had my crown tail Ratchet manage two big holes on his dorsal fin. generally the tail is an easy target since it'll float right into their face if it's long enough.

But clean water should take care of it if it's a very mild rot or biting. I'd still watch it just to be sure it's getting better.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #7 
HatsuneMiku

alrightie =D .. he's my chronic sbd boy .. so once a month i give him a epsom treatment for 3-4 days .. when i see him being a little bloatie .. should i not do that till the fins are better?

right now i put him in qt container .. and hanging in his tank in the container so it's easier for me to change water every day and he stays warm .. and i siphon out his poop immediately when i see it .. how will i know if i should use aq salt?

for my goldfish when i see signs of fin rot (happened once when i didn't qt before adding to the tank.. bad me x_x) .. i pre-mixed aq salt with a 25% water change .. and that cleared things up in 2-3 days .. then i did another water water change to dilute the salt after .. but that's in a 20g .. how would i do it in a 1/2g hanging tank thing ?

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 11-02-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Epsom salt won't hurt his fins at all. If he needs to be treated for sbd occasionally and fasting does't work, then it'll be fine.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #9 
HatsuneMiku

the red areas now turned this redish brownish color .. @_@

should i do some aq salt now ? or wait and see with clean water if it'll go away soon?

i also had found a very tiny misquito or fly or something .. bug with wings @_@ .. that i found a few days ago when doing the w/c but i didn't think anything of it .. then the next day i noticed the red spots .. could that bug have caused some kind of infection ?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #10 
Larsa

awwes... poor guy. I dont think you should use AQ salt, and I dont think a fly caused this, its actually common with opaque bettas.

Heyyy you might wanna check this out :/ I also have an opaque male betta who is sick with the same thing! He is 10 months old and a few months ago he started out with those SAME red streaks on the tips of his fins! I first thought this was fin rot but later he was diagnosed with septicemia ( also known as "red pest disease") , an internal bacterial disease with the association of rotting denigrating fins commonly confused with fin-rot. So if you have been treating him for the fungal infection fin rot and nothing is working he might have a minor septicemia case. :( I would just keep up with daily water changes for now until a proper diagnose.

I attracted a picture for you so you can compare. Mine was a HM 2" long caudal fins, but he is starting to loose his caudal fin. I really hope your fish doesn't have this, as I have been battling with it for months but keep it in mind if the red streaks progress. :( Occasionally, when the bleeding effect goes away on a certain spot, it also turns brown. ( old blood?) Izume still has it pretty bad right now but he isnt lethargic-in fact, very active and he responds to food immediately.

**I read up that the gene that causes opaque bettas to be this color also causes promotes certain organ failure and disease.

♥♥♥♥ Best of luck to your fishie! ♥♥♥♥

Attached Images

Last edited by Larsa; 11-04-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote