Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #1 
Okami

What is aquarium safe?

I want to set up a small tank based on the anime Zoids. Now penplax made a zoid that goes up and down with an air pump. I have seen other zoids of similar size that are just plastic and rubber and as far as I can tell no paint.

Would something thats just rubber and plastic be safe? I have also seen some sort of spray used on the show Tanked to make stuff aquarium safe. Any one know what that Spray is?
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #2 
Fieldz

As long as it doesnt releases toxins long term into the water, yea, its safe.

Example of un-safe stuff= painted gravel.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 
Okami

As far as I know it doesnt release toxins. But does any one know what that spray is they use on Tanked to make sure its 100% safe?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

I'd like to say that your idea is amazing.... which zoids are you planning on using?

I unfortunately don't know what spray they use, but maybe a quick google search would help you get some ideas?

As far as leaching toxins, be very careful with that. I'd rinse everything in hot water a few times before setting up the tank, dosing with dechlorinator and letting it soak, and then rinsing again a few times to be sure. It seems like a really long process, but I can definitely say that it's worth it.

If you do get this set up, monitor whoever you put in for 24 hours very closely and remove at the slightest sign of illness or discomfort (Other than the stress of a new tank). It's going to sound very bad, but maybe when you get this tank set up, put a ghost shrimp or two in since they're more delicate to water quality. If they die off you'll know something is definitely wrong.

I wish there was a way to test for chemicals and toxins in the water that didn't require using a delicate species. If there is, I definitely need to find out about it. I hate advocating the death of a creature for the safety of another.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #5 
Okami

im planning on using http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OC:US:1123 along with some blox zoids that have no metal parts.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

That's nifty. It might be a bit bothersome to a betta depending on tank size though since it does look pretty large. And for the blox zoids, just make sure there aren't any sharp edges if you find they are safe. I know they tend to have some pretty sharp edges. At least the Masosledge and Unenlagia do.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote