Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2011, 11:24 PM   #1 
jfw

Hawkeye 5 gal Tank Aquarium Kit

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this tank?

I'm thinking of upgrading my female to it.. how does the filter work? Would I be able to put on the aquatech 5-15 power filter?

Thanks

here is the link
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #2 
BellasMomma

i dont have it but the website does have 125 reviews for it, im sure if u read them ull be able to decided if its for u. the filter, most people will comment on how it works with filters, like it the hood allows lots of room for add-ons
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Last year that was a VERY popular tank for members on this forum who LOVED it... it came on sale for $19 for Black Friday so a lot of people got it.
No one had negative things to say about it that I remember.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #4 
jfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasMomma View Post
i dont have it but the website does have 125 reviews for it, im sure if u read them ull be able to decided if its for u. the filter, most people will comment on how it works with filters, like it the hood allows lots of room for add-ons
I've read through their reviews, but they weren't helpful for the most part mostly people either getting it home that day and proclaiming how wonderful it was or people speculating on how many goldfish they could potentially cram in there
Old 11-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Well, I've had those filters and they are not great... the current it too strong for bettas, their fins can get sucked up by the intake and they are hard to modify.
The tank itself is a great purchase considering the size and that it comes with a flourescent bulb which costs $5-8 when buying separate.
It could get annoying to be lifting that hood everytime you're feeding if there's not a smaller opening accessible.
I like that the bulb is protected with a plastic covering.

When compared to most 5 galon tank kits it's a steal, even when you need to buy a new filter (I suggest sponge), it's a good size and an attractive design.
I don't recomend the MiniBows... I've has 3-4 and my hoods always end up not working because the metal part where you screw in the bulb detaches.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #6 
BellasMomma

yea sometimes reviews r great and sometimes not so much!!!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #7 
jfw

A sponge filter is what you are saying?
Would you recommend that over a traditional power filter?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #8 
vilmarisv

Absolutely...
Sponge filters have much more surface for beneficial bacteria to grow...
They will not shred your fish's fins with a powerful intake...
The current they produce is much gentler and easier to control than power filters...
One air pump can be used for multiple sponge filters given you have a multiple control valve.
I currently have 3 tanks (a 14gal, a 2.5gal and a 1gal) all hooked up to pne airpump and I would be able to hook up another if I had the counter space!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #9 
vilmarisv

BTW, there's a review with pictures by vaygirl... she's a senior member of this forum. Might want to PM her.

"Love this tank!,
11/29/2010
I got one of these for each of my bettas. They LOVE it. I keep live, low light plants in all of them and the light bulb does a great job keeping them looking good. The filter is easy to baffle and you can replace it if you ever want a change. It's...(read full review)

I got one of these for each of my bettas. They LOVE it. I keep live, low light plants in all of them and the light bulb does a great job keeping them looking good. The filter is easy to baffle and you can replace it if you ever want a change. It's not integrated, which is nice. A 25 watt heater fits nicely along the short side and keeps all my bettas toasty and healthy. Weekly water changes and vacuuming are a cinch with the pop up lid. It's an awesome tank for the money. Highly recommend."
Old 11-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #10 
bastage

I have what appears to be basically the same filter in a 2 gallon hex.. If you want to reduce the flow simply lower it so the top is below the surface by about 1" & there is almost no noticeable flow. My CT Micro would actually sit right above it in the flow & just float around.. I now have it as high up in my 2 gallon hex as I can get it to maximize the flow & its quite strong right in front of it, but 3" away from the front micro can sit there & chill without having to work. & this is in a small 2 gallon tank so in a 5 it shouldn't be bad at all. As far as fins getting caught I have seen my fish rubbing on the intake with it running so its not that strong. & if you wanted to be sure then add a piece of nylon to cover it.

Also another point with it the flow can be easily reduced by putting a little piece of plastic inside the filter compartment to slow things down. It took all of about 10 seconds to do. All that said of course a sponge filter is better & this could easily take one rather then having to replace the whole thing.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote