Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #11 
ShyDog

More armchair information:

Goldfish are the kings of waste production, which is why it's rediculous their advertised as bowl fish, or even small aquarium fish. Their body size is determined by space, but their organ size is not. So that's why a lot of people say 10 gallon minimum.
ShyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #12 
Nouran

what u mean by double filteration?
Nouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #13 
BettaMiah

So say you have a 55 gallon tank (Bare minimum for an adult, but anything 10+ will do for now) you'll want to get a filter for a tank of 110 gallons.

Or to be even more simple, say you get him a ten gallon tank. You'll want a filter for a 20 gallon tank. You need this because Goldfish produce and extreme amount of waste.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #14 
ShyDog

Nouran, do you mind filling out the rest of the information for Myia? She needs to know what he eats, what the temperature is ect.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #15 
BettaMiah

Yes.

Its Miah by the way. ;)
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #16 
laughing

Goldfish should NEVER be kept in a 2 gallon! Even as babies!

What kind of Goldfish do you have? Depending on the species, you may need 30 gallons once adult, or over 100 gallons. If it's still a baby, a 10 gallon will suffice. If you cannot provide this, please rehome your Goldie!

Goldfish have an extremely high bioload and do not ever fare well in bowls or under 5 gallons. It does sound like ammonia burns. You've never tested the water, EVER? This is very important. Pet stores will test your water, often for free. PetSmart, PetCo, etc.. bring in a plastic ziplock bag of the water in your Goldfish's tank just BEFORE you do a water change, and have it tested. It won't do you good to test right after a water change.

Also, constant 100% water changes are stressful on fish. You really need to upgrade!

I agree, your fish needs minimum 10 gallons with double filtration... I.e., 10 gallon with 20 gallon filter, 20 gallon with a 40 gallon filter, etc...

If you can post pictures and get that water tested to verify ammonia burns that'd be great. Because if it isn't, we need to still pursue this and figure out what is wrong.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #17 
ShyDog

sorry, Miah : )
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #18 
LaLaLeyla

I have a goldfish in a 2.5 gallon tank, I had these things called " Correct PH" which helped with ph levels and lowered the ammonia toxicity. In the mean time you can try and get a cheap filter witch might help with ammonia.

Sorry I'm not all that good of a goldfish expert.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #19 
BettaMiah

Very good, laughing! That is very good information.

Its okay Shydog. Easy mistake.

What type of a Goldfish, Leyla? Something should be done about that. Possibly a rehoming? Or you could get a bigger tank. 2.5 gallons isn't even suitable for Goldie fry! Haha.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

At the least a 10 gallon would "do" but only for a short time to avoid stress (and stunting of growth) as ammonia build up is extremely common in goldies. Even in an 80 gallon with two goldies, they tend to have a double filtration, meaning two filters, usually each made for the equivalent or more than the amount of water you have to ensure maximum health. Red dots sort of sound like a parasite to me, but I have noticed it is awfully common in goldfish. Sometimes, if the red speckling is near the gills it is ammonia burn starting, more as small welts than a burn - similar to what you would have if you burned yourself. First it'd look red, then change to look like a burn.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote