Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #21 
Myates

The common comet (feeder) goldfish need a minimum of 20 gals, and that is for one of them. In fact, I believe they actually need more as they can grow 12", correct? They "can" live in smaller tanks, but only for a short while, as their bodies may stop growing, but their organs and such doesn't.. so by only giving them not even a fraction what is needed, you are slowly and eventually painfully killing them.

Goldfish can and do live for decades.. 20+ years easily.. and if given the proper room, temp and filtration, are very hardy fish. A goldfish that dies after a few months to a couple years, then you definitely will need to reevaluate your set up. And with ammonia burns being present, it just means that it won't be a long time until the poor thing passes..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #22 
BettaMiah

20 gallons is temporary i'd say. No adult could be shoved into a 20 gallon and make it past a year.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

I have met someone who had a goldie in 10 gallons for a good few years. my question: "did he always seem sick?"
them: "yeah"
me: "you know they are supposed to live for like.. at least 5 years minimum."
them: "..."

So it is possible... but highly unrecommended.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #24 
BettaMiah

Mine is in one temporary.

A few years? They should be able to get at least 1 foot (2 isn't uncommon if its a Common or Comet) and live DECADES. Not 5 years. You could keep one in a bowl for years if you're lucky

My friend's sister had one with some tropicals (Like 3 others) in a 1 gallon, it lived 5 years.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Well, I am saying the minimum of all minimum is 5 years lol. not just... 2-3 years. I don't ever want goldfish anyways, so yeah.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #26 
BettaMiah

Oh but Goldies are such cute and intelligent little creatures. They sure aren't like Bettas, they are unique and fun! I love mine and wouldn't trade him for the world. <3
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #27 
youlovegnats

Alright guys, keep it on track here.
The OP asked a question and you guys answered it. :)
Let's not make this turn into an argument or de-rail it from the OP here.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMiah View Post
Oh but Goldies are such cute and intelligent little creatures. They sure aren't like Bettas, they are unique and fun! I love mine and wouldn't trade him for the world. <3
That's true. Just, as pointed out, they need loads of room and lots of cleaning
Old 11-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #29 
bahamut285

Nouran, I strongly encourage you to buy a water testing kit, or take some of your tank and tap water to your local store to test it for you.

Judging from your previous diagnostic of black spots (healing spots) on your goldfish and he is yet again having problems with ammonia burns, then there is something seriously wrong.

Although 2 gallons is too small for a common goldfish, burns should NOT just appear overnight. I myself had made the mistake of putting TWO half inch common goldfish in a 2.5 gallon and they never had ANY health problems such as burns or parasites until I moved them to an 8 gallon about 3 years later.

I never had this "double filtration" crap going on. I just had the one built-in filter and did a 100% change every week.

Maybe I just have good luck or amazingly pristine water, but I honestly never do the "recommended" water changes by anybody on this forum (not even on my guide any more). I've run several trials of uncycled and cycled tanks of various sizes and I have a better, more efficient system now.

My two options to you Nouran are:
- Try your hardest to get a 75 Litre (20G) tank
- Get your water tested. You never know you might already have 1.0ppm of ammonia floating around in your tap water that is ramping up the problems that you don't need with your current issues.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #30 
LionCalie

Nouran, is it Koko's Goldfish Forum you are trying to post on? The one I recommended to you? If it is I can ask a Mod why you cannot post and hopefully we can get it sorted out. There are true experts on that site and have helped me countless times.

I'm not confident in saying what you are seeing are ammonia burns (which are usually dark spots).
It could very well be something else.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote