Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #41 
Myates

I am guessing it's more the fact you are changing 100% of the water daily, while you have a filter system going.. or is it just aeration (air bubbler)?

If it's filtered, you should be doing less in the way of water changes. Yes, they are very bad with their bio waste and need a little more water cleaning then the average fish.. but sometimes you can do too much. In a 9.5 liter (approx 2.5 gallons) I would say do 50% every 1-2 days. The ammonia will build up quickly, but doing so many water changes can overly stress the fish, as well as there is a probability for them to go into shock if you aren't careful with acclimating them properly to both the temp and the chemistry each time you change the water.
Which could possibly explain why he is gasping so much- shock.
If it is just a bubbler, he may not be getting enough oxygen either, as well as filters for smaller tanks aren't always all that strong.

It's difficult to help, as the only true way to help him would be with a larger tank, the proper temp (comets and most goldfish should not be in tanks higher then 75*) with the proper filtration. For now, just keep doing large amounts of water changes often, making sure to dose the full amount of water conditioner such as Prime, anything that removes the chlorines and other metals.

I wish you luck.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:32 PM   #42 
LittleBettaFish

When I moved a sick goldfish into an uncycled 24 litre tank, the ammonia was around .5-1ppm in 24 hours. They are huge waste producers and unfortunately, Nouran is probably right in doing 100% water changes. While it may be stressful to the fish, it isn't going to be able to build-up an immunity to ammonia so that the filter can be allowed to cycle.

Nouran, is there any way you can get a plastic tub/water barrel/rubbish bin and use this for your goldfish. It's cheap, could go outside, and would certainly provide your goldfish with enough space.

What goldfish need during the cycling process is a very large water volume to dilute the toxicity of the ammonia being produced. It would take a longer period of time for ammonia to reach 1ppm in a 100 litre tank than it would in a 5 litre one.

Does your filter produce a lot of bubbles at the surface? You want to have a lot of surface movement as this increases oxygenation of the water. If your goldfish is suffering from ammonia burns, this is damaging the gills, and will make it a lot harder for him to breathe properly.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #43 
LionCalie

From my understanding Nouran is using an airstone, but not a filter.

Not all tap water has Nitrates, and I think what you mean is Ammonia, in which case you would have to test your tap to find out. Also, those people that just use tap water and chlorine removers you will find their Goldfish do not live anywhere near their full lifespan of 10 - 20 years.

Goldfish are big waste producers, without a filter there is nothing to consume the ammonia that the fish produces. It builds up to toxic levels. With a cycled filter there is good bacteria to handle the bio load. Ammonia is consumed by NitrItes, which are also toxic. Those nitrites are then consumed by NitrAtes, which are toxic at high levels. To keep the nitrAtes at a safe level you do weekly water changes.

The reason you are having to do 100% water changes daily is because you do not have a filter, nor a cycle (meaning good bacteria).
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #44 
bahamut285

What temperature is the tank again? Oxygen is not very soluble when the tank is warm. It is more soluble in colder water.

How do you do your 100% changes? You could have just been doing many many many small dilutions and the dilution factor may have just caught up with you.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #45 
HatsuneMiku

if you could get a picture =D it would help out a lot too
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #46 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
When I moved a sick goldfish into an uncycled 24 litre tank, the ammonia was around .5-1ppm in 24 hours. They are huge waste producers and unfortunately, Nouran is probably right in doing 100% water changes. While it may be stressful to the fish, it isn't going to be able to build-up an immunity to ammonia so that the filter can be allowed to cycle.

Nouran, is there any way you can get a plastic tub/water barrel/rubbish bin and use this for your goldfish. It's cheap, could go outside, and would certainly provide your goldfish with enough space.

What goldfish need during the cycling process is a very large water volume to dilute the toxicity of the ammonia being produced. It would take a longer period of time for ammonia to reach 1ppm in a 100 litre tank than it would in a 5 litre one.

Does your filter produce a lot of bubbles at the surface? You want to have a lot of surface movement as this increases oxygenation of the water. If your goldfish is suffering from ammonia burns, this is damaging the gills, and will make it a lot harder for him to breathe properly.

I strongly agree with getting a bin - you can get a pretty decent sized one from anywhere between 10-30 dollars usually. Even if you wanted, you could use a kiddy pool - which of course may have to go outside unless you have room indoors? o_o I've gotten bins for my fish, and use them as needed as desired. Better than smaller spaces, and even tanks are expensive - so bins are pretty good. white, colored or clear works - if you want to be able to see the fish clear usually is a pretty good choice.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote