Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #1 
purplemuffin

Now for the fin rot...Maybe?

Since Dionysus appears to have made a full recovery from his sbd/back injury ordeal, in the next few days I plant to start treating for the fin rot he seems to have developed. I know this means getting aquarium salt and removing the epsom salt from his environment. Anything else I need to think about before I start? Or, do you see anything else that looks like a big warning sign I should be aware of?

Here's the best photo displaying the rot:

Also, here are the pictures from this morning..
(Quick question. He's swimming and acting normally, but his fins are closed more often. They don't appear clamped, he is willing to open them and swim, but the top fin being so closed is different... Could it be related to the fin damage?)

I figured since this is a different issue, there should be a different thread. Don't want to clutter up the old one with too many pages making it hard to tell what's going on.

When switching from epsom to aquarium salt, should he go through a few days of clean water?

Also, I have a fear he is getting far to stressed from all these daily water changes. Before doing the AQ salt treatments, what if I move him to a larger container so I can do water changes less often so he has more privacy? Or should it all just be gotten through with right now?

Also, on that last pic..Is that a lump? Is it normal?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 AM   #2 
GreenTea

It's normal. One of my bettas has that slight bend towards the end and I forget about it, so that every once in awhile I look and think "OH NO, TUMOR!" but it's just his tail. It's super fun! :P

I don't see any black edging or anything on his fins, are you sure it's fin rot and not tail damage? When switching from epsom to aq salt he doesn't need clean water for a few days. I would just acclimate him very slowly, and bring some of his old water into his new tank - like the usual cup-full from the water change, so that it's not a complete 100% new adjustment. If you are worried, you could do a 1/2 dose of aq salt for a few days. If you are really worried and sure he has rot, a few days off meds and in pristine water will be ok too.

If the 100% changes are stressing him, maybe switch to 70% or split it up into two parts. Are you acclimating him each time?

Hope you can keep getting him feeling better =]
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

It's a lot more noticable in person, tiny pin holes and black edges. His fins also just look 'thinner' than usual! Hard to see in new pictures where they are closed more
Old 10-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #4 
purplemuffin

Okay now that I'm not just exhausted and sleepy...

Basically we believe he has fin rot. I thought it was confirmed in the other thread because of the black on his fins. Mostly on his dorsal.

Now he won't unclamp his dorsal despite no longer having troubles swimming. You can see how closed tight it is!

Temps stable. Still getting clean, good water. So now I'm like--what's up?

Is it NOT fin rot? Why is his dorsal closed tight?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Okay, now I'm really confused. His upper fin now appears to be melted together. I have been doing daily 100% water changes. What is happening?? Tested my water..not high in ammonia or anything...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

I think these pictures show the fins better. What's the best course of action here? I'm freaking out how fast this is getting worse.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM   #7 
Silverfang

uh.. if not rot, something is certaintly happening to those fins. Not sure what to suggest other than clean water (which I read you are doing, and possible AQ salt treatment.

Fin issues will heal up, my boy scuzi had deteriorating fins a week ago, now the black is fading and I think I see webbing reappearing. Just keep up the clean water, and get your water tested, maybe there's something funky in your tap water?
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

It's possible. Nothing is showing up on my test kit though. It's..bizarre. And worrying!

He is acting better than ever though. Curious, eating, pooping, swimming, etc.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-18-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 
Silverfang

I know about worrying *glares at various bettas*

Do you have a liquid test kit? if not I'd suggest taking it int a pet store.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

yep, API master test kit