Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #1 
jade14

Clamped fins?

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78
Does your tank have a filter? No (been looking for one suitable)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms, flakes, pellets (rotated)
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: 7.0
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? ends of fins are clamped. body is slightly faded to a purplish color rather than the dark blue he used to be.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Slightly slower. Just sits in one spot for a long time.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added a heater to the tank. (The water was getting colder because of the change of seasons.. I thought maybe he was clamped because of the coldness.)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in May. (6 months)

Here is an attached picture of him. He has been clamped for a little while, I thought he might of been clamped because the water was getting colder because it's no longer summer, but I added the heater about 2 weeks ago and he has not changed his appearance at all. I'm wondering if there's another problem I'm not seeing.
Sorry the picture quality isn't the best.
Attached Images

jade14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.....

I see a couple of problems...but really easy to fix.......

Even in a 5gal unfiltered-I would make at least 50% weekly and 100% monthly unless it has live plants

Long term use of aquarium salt can damage internal organs and cause resistant issues.....

What I would do-make 50% water changes for 2 days to start getting the salt out-wait 1 day and make 100% water change-be sure to properly acclimate him back to the tank from the holding container used when making the 100% water change-by adding small amounts of the like temp-fresh/dechlorinated water to the holding cup over 15-20min....
Then get on a regular schedule that I posted above....
Try to keep the water temp in the 76-80F range

Be sure and dose the dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with the partial water changes as a general rule....

Filters are optional with this species-sometimes the filter can be the cause of fin damage-but without a filter you need to make more water changes to maintain water quality and remove any uneaten food.....unless you have live plants.....

Keep us posted.....nice looking Betta by the way....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote